Naproxen is giving me severe stomach pain

Posted , 22 users are following.

it feels like a cross between trapped wind and menstrual cramps and starts thirty or so minutes after I take the tablet. I've been persevering for three days and I feel like giving up as I can't sleep though the pain, it's worse than the pain I'm taking the naproxen to combat! ( inflamed shoulder tendons) I took omeprazole this morning to try to avoid the pains but they came anyway. Any advice? Shall I persevere or give up and go back to ibuprofen? I feel like a sausage about to burst!

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was given naproxen, codeine and paracetamol to ease the pain of broken ribs, 2-3 days into it now and im struggling to sleep due to the pain coming from my stomach, is there anything I can do to help get rid of the pain as im a college student and cannot afford to be up all night in pain.
  • Posted

I took 400mg of ibuprofen last night right after dinner for an inflamed shoulder. I woke up in the middle of the night with really bad stomach cramps and in the morning I was doubled over in pain. As soon as I ate breakfast I was okay, until almost 24 hours later when the cramps have started again. I don't know what gives. I haven't had ibuprofen for a really long time, last time I had it was a few months ago when my dr had prescribed it to me for my shoulder and I remember getting the same symptoms. Is my stomach lining really so damaged from that course of medication that I can't even have a single tablet any more?

• Posted

Hi. I have recently been prescribed naproxen 4 days ago to be exact for a rotator cuff injury. I was not prescribed anything with it to protect my stomach, but followed the instructions and took 1 on the first day with lunch, and again another one with dinner around 6pm. That night I woke up with severe stomach pain and middle back pain. I took some paracetamol and went back to sleep. The morning after I was bowled over in pain, crying and unable to get out of bed and go to work. I couldn’t eat anything as this seemed to make the pain worse. I went back to the doctor who advised that I either take omeprazole along side it, or I come off it all together and have co codamol instead. Needless to say, I opted for just the cocodamol. I have yet to take a cocodamol as pain in shoulder and neck not to bad. But I’m on day 3 now and I’m still unable to eat properly, although I have had to force myself to, but my daily calorie intake has definitely been dramatically affected by this, which in the long run will clearly cause weight loss. My stomach lining appears to have been really irritated by this naproxen. I have all the symptoms as described above. When is this likely to ease off? I’ve had no bloody stools, but all the other symptoms ft me perfectly. I’m so annoyed that this medication has put me in an even worse state than before. Any advise welcomed. Many thanks.  
  • Posted

Hi 

How is everyone now? Hoping you’ve made full recovery’s. Just thought I’d pop in to explain my reaction to naproxen. I was prescribed naproxen just over 2 weeks ago. I was not prescribed omeprazole along side it because I’m 32 and apparently it’s only prescribed to people over 45 to protect their stomachs ( I thought this was odd ) I took two single doses and the next day I was doubled over in pain. I have since been prescribed omeprazole but after 7 days I gave me bad diarrhoea so had to stop. So basically now I have been given peptac peppermint liquid and I am trying to follow a gastritis diet to help stop the acid in my stomach. I don’t have a use reflux, but what I do get is severe pain which mostly raidiates across the centre of my back and shoulders. I’m going in for blood tests on Friday I have no idea what they are going to check. But just wanted to know how all of you managed to get through this? I’ve lost 10lbs in 2 weeks and I’m not that big anyway do this is a shocking amount of weight to loose. I’ve had no appetite most days and when I do I’m in fear of triggering pain. Yesterday was a good day somewhat and I’m hoping today will be the same. But I just want to be better already. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.