Naproxen messed up my stomach.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

Just over two weeks ago I was prescribed naproxen for a ongoing shoulder complaint that I have had. As advised, the next day I took 1 tablet with lunch and another with dinner. The next morning I was doubled over in pain in the centre of my back and stomach. I booked an emergency doctors appointment and they prescribed me omeprazole ( which it turns out they should have done alongside the naproxen ) and this seemed to help a little. However after 1 week I woke up and for most of the day felt awful. Aches and pains all over my body and bad diarrhoea. Please note that ever since I have taken naproxen my stools have been loose anyway but this was proper diarrhoea. Only twice, but I decided to stop taking the omeprazole as the medication scares me, especially after having such a horrible reaction to naproxen. Anyway, the days following I have been miserable. Weak, tired, not able to concentrate because of the anxiety of not actually getting better. I’ve lost 10lbs in two weeks and it’s pretty horrible. However, after another visit to the doctors they have prescribed me peptac peppermint liquid to drink after meals and at night. I have been following a gastritis diet and seem to have been able to manage the stomach pain. But have still been taking the peptac as suggested. My tummy is making very loud gurgling noises all the time, especially when I lay down. And every morning I wake at 4am and feel anxious and need to open my bowels. It’s like clockwork. I have to have blood tests tomorrow to see what’s going on, but this is the longest I have ever been ill in my life. Always very healthy before. I have mild ibs but it’s not that bad, just occasionally got bloated or constipated. But this is on another level. I’ve had to take an entire week off of work which is not ideal. Has anyone else ever had anything like this before? Please note I’m no longer on naproxen or omeprazole. Just managing with peptac and diet. Tia. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah, I completely agree with you Naproxen are awful, I was given them and other non steroidle anti inflammatory drugs and they play havoc with your stomach they ruin the lining of your tummy too. I steer well away from all snaids now.

hope that they sort you out soon xx

• Posted

Did you have the same problems as me then. It’s been 2 1/2 weeks and I’m still experiencing loose bowels and unable to eat certain foods. I am actually no longer taking any medication not even the peptac as I seem to be able to manage the acid in my stomach quite well. How long did you experience stomach problems for? And what did you do to overcome them? My idea is to just follow a gastritis diet now for a few more weeks and then gradually start adding in more foods. I think high sugar foods have been the worst triggers for me so far. So I’m staying well clear. Luckily this has made me loose my appetite quite abit so it’s not even like I’m craving sugar anymore or even large quantities of food because my stomach has shrunk. So I’m managing to eat very healthy indeed at the moment without feeling like I’m missing out. I mean I needed to loose a few lbs anyway. But this was not what I had in mind. Thank you for your reply. 
    • Posted

Actually I say I’m managing it but I decided to try oatmeal this morning with unsweetened almond milk, honey and frozen blueberries and I feel awful now. Slight tinge in my back and achey all over again. I think I might just stick with having a banana for breakfast in future. This is crazy. How on earth can two pills mess up your stomach so badly that you feel so un well. 
  • Posted

I have spinal stenosis and took lots of anti inflammatorys for pain, they caused havoc with the lining of my tummy I was on omeprazole for a long time, gaviscon liquid too. I now have gallbladder problems and stones, lost two stone in weight.
    • Posted

Oh god sue that sounds awful. I’ve just had bloods taken to check platelets, red and white blood cells and my liver. Not to sure why they need to check this? How are you getting on now with everything? I have to be honest. I could have probably dealt with this problem ok if it hadn’t have triggered stress and anxiety in me. That just added to the problem. I’m now feeling much less stressed about it because I’m managing it by eliminating things from my diet. The foods I can eat are so limited and I’m pretty sure I am going to loose a fair amount of weight whilst I let my stomach heal. I just keep trying to think positive. I’m already able to taste food better. Like the most blandest of food actually taste like heaven because I’ve gone so long without being able to eat. Also I’ve been not tempted at all to pinch any of my children’s Halloween sweets and chocolate which I would have been all over before. So just need to see the positives in this huge lifestyle change and embrace it. 
  • Posted

I had a bout of acute enterogastritis when I was 17 yrs. old. I have always had stomach trouble since and am currently 53. I would get spells of pain that would have me doubled over in pain in a fetal position and lasting from 1 to 3 hours. Pain I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Anyways, I have it pretty well under control, Except for once in a while, usually when I eat too much junk food. What I do have now is a wicked wicked case of acid reflux. If I take my Omezaprol every day I am all right (omezaprol is generic Prilosec by the way). If I miss one day the acid is back with a vengence. I have been on omezaprol for about 8 yrs.

• Posted

Ah David that sounds awful. I am still waiting for test results but am heading back to the doctors for stress and anxiety which I think has been adding to this problem. It’s been almost 3 weeks since the naproxen irritated my stomach lining and to be honest I have not been eating and what I do eat is not the types of foods that would trigger stomach pain. I’m hoping it is somewhat healed now, but I’m now in a position where the stress and anxiety of it all has caused me to become very un well, I have no appetite and even when I try to eat I’m scared to just in case it makes my stomach flare up. So I’m in a viscous circle. I’ve been fighting with all my mite to stay strong against this illness and anxiety and I think I’m coming to a head. Worried that antidepressants might be my only option going forward. This is the first time I have ever felt so un well mentally and it has all he brought on by illness. Hopefully I can start introducing more foods into my diet now. I’m not taking anything for my stomach problems and have not had any flare ups for a week ( and that was I think because I ate half a chocolate donut) so still going to avoid sugar. Fingers crossed I get better soon. 
  • Posted

Hello do the peptac works for you and did the Omeprazole I have a simpiler to that I took napaxon I been having stomach pain since nothing seem to relieve it but burping
  • Posted

I was given Naproxen 3 weeks ago as a trial. They worked amazingly for my arthritis in my hips. So my Doctor gave me a months worth and some Lansoprazole which she said I had to take once a day. 3 days later and I feel terrible. I called the doctor this afternoon and said I had pains in my upper abdomen and what felt like trapped wind. She told me to stop taking the Naproxen but carry on with the other one for a few days. I’m worried that I took the Naproxen for 2 weeks without being prescribed Lansoprozole. I’m in pain and worried.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.