Naproxen side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have failed back surgery syndrome and spinal stenosis recently I went to the Drs as I have severe shoulder pain and she prescribed naproxen for pain, told me to take for two weeks! I was on anti inflammatories years ago and they wrecked my stomach, I still take esomeprazole. Well I only took them for a week, I was so depressed, but now I have pains in my chest, terrible heartburn, I keep burping which isn't at all lady like and embarrassing!. I feel sick and off my food, I was crazy to take them again and wish I hadnt but the dr obviously didn't check my notes. These are awful tablets!!😔

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I dont like Naproxen they give me too many side effects and they do not take the pain away either!

I was then given Tramadol which i am not taking as it is causing havoc with my tummy and does nothing for the pain.

The only meds i find that work are cocodamol at the moment.

Take care and i hope you find a med that works for you.

• Posted

Hi Dawn, awful side effects you just don't realise what they do to your body! I am on Tramadol slow release 50 mg twice a day also! 

Its my own fault on taking naproxen but you will do anything to take away the pain. I've been booked in for physio but that's a couple of weeks away. I think I would sooner have the pain than the horrible side effects. I would advise people to stay clear of naproxen bad bad drug to take.

• Posted

I personally dont like the naproxen or the tramadol i feel so spaced out on them so i dont take them.

The cocodamol i can take 1 or 2 depending on the pain and it reduces it for me i would rather take the cocodamol than the others any day.

Thanks for your comment smile

• Posted

I also have had bad experiences with Naproxen. However recently I have found that if I take the Omeprazole (normally prescribed with Naproxen) first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and then take a Naproxen after a meals recommend I have no side effects.

The doctor advised me that I should not take Naproxen without the Omeprazole capsule as it may cause ulcers.

• Posted

I feel exactly the same. Was given naproxen for neck pain. Been taking 2 a day (with food) but today I've been suffering with heartburn and the feeling of trapped wind which is making me want to burp which like you said isn't very lady like, my chest hurts so much sometimes it feels like it's going to burst!!!

So I feel your pain x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.