Need advice ... Everyone please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I want to quit PPI. though i don't mind being on zantac for anouther 6-8 months.

Reason i want to quit ppi is  i am having really bad side effect like kidney pain , leg cramps.

i am on them for 1.5yrs apprx for excesive stomach acid its started due to extreme stress .

3 months ago my endoscopy showed mild gastritis. (stomach fundus). no esophagus damage. but during the endoscopy the pipe damaged my throat i was spiting blood after the procedure i still feel the lumpy feeling .

whats worrying me is that if i switch to zantac am i risking anything .i know the rebound hyperacidity will last for 2 mnths. My GP told me to take zantac instead. but as i can feel my throat is hurting i am a bit confused . should i do it? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You could try Rinitidine, I was on all the PPI’s hated them, I’m ok in Rinitidine, just one in the morning keeps me fine. 
    • Posted

how did you able to get off ppi . i find it imposible if i miss a single day hyperacidity is horrible and unbearable . thats why i fear it might damage even on rantidine 300mg which i will take.
    • Posted

I know what your saying Susan, I was the same, but doc gave me Rinitidine and I’m getting by on one every morning, if I forget to take it, I’m a mess, terrible nausea and acid reflux, stomach lining burning. I feel better on that than the PPI’s. 
    • Posted

Did you get any acid reflux when you stopped taking PPI medication and how much were you on 
    • Posted

Hi Gillian

I’ve always had acid reflux for as long as I remember, I didn’t feel any worse when I came of the PPI’s, I felt terrible on them, my stomach was killing me. I was on Lansoprazole 30 mg, then I moved on to Emezrol 40mg. My stomach felt dead, always sore on the PPI’s, so I’m now on Rinitidine, just take one in the morning, I’ve totally changed my diet, no processed foods, quit the coffee, I was taking 4 cups a day, quit the alcohol, was drinking 2/3 times a week. Don’t eat any junk, most of what I eat is organic, fruit/veg/nuts/seeds/pulses. I’ve lost 1 and a half stone. 😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.