nervous potential PV

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm new here just signed up and am scared out of my mind mostly from what I've read about life span. I'm 22 years of age and have not been officially diagnosed but my GP mentioned it briefly here are my counts from my most recent test

I'm a 22 Year old male. Rather slim and short stature .

WBC 7.9 (3.6-10.6)

RBC 6.04 (4.2-5.7)

HGB 17.3 (13.0-17.0)

HCT 49.1 (39.0-50.0)

MCV 81 (80-91)

MCH 29 (27-31)

Platelet 324 (150-400)

RDW 12.7 (11.5-14.5)

These are the most recent results. I've had 3 CBC in the past 3 years and none of my counts have raised/dropped more than 1.0 in any category in that 3 year time span.

I have no symptoms but I do have poor water drinking habits so maybe that has an effect? I'm just really scared I'm so young and I might have this and I'm nervous of dying soon. Are my counts blood along the lines of typical PV? My GP didn't seem overly concerned and asked me to come back in 6 months to do a JAX test

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi James, I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Your RBC and hemaglobiin are slightly raised, but not enough to be concerned. If you had Pv your platelets and hematocrit would be higher.  I don't even see the point in taking the jak2mutation blood.  I'm not a dr of course but I do have Pv and I would kill for your numbers...good luck. Zap

• Posted

Hi James please do not worry people can live a normal life span with this PV, things to do ARE live a healthy life style ... dont over drink or over eat , excesses of booze etc can change the blood . Keep fit take up an exercise, hobby of something u like enjoy life people can live with this without knowing they. have it, its unfortunate or fortunate you are on the cusp of this thingy, as now u can choose a good active non boozey life style ! And maybe u can keep it at bay best of British xx
  • Posted

Hi James,

As with the other two replies you have received, I really don't think you have much of a concern with PV.  Blood counts can go up or down for a variety of reasons, not all of them connected to illness.  Your stats. are seemingly quite normal and do not represent what one expects with a diagnosis of PV.  You are young so just go out and enjoy your life.  Visit your GP when the appointment is due, keep fit and yes, drink a reasonable amount of water which is necessary for good kidney function anyway.  Even if you were diagnosed with PV you could still maintain a good standard of life and a good life-expectancy.   Cease worrying.

Peter.

• Posted

Hi James.  The Jac2 test, determines if you have the jac2 gene mutation. If you do, then your diagnosis will be Polycythemia Vera. Dobn't worry too much. You can live a normal life span as long as you are treated. With PV your red count would be too high, and possibly your white count could also be too high. I don't know about the numbers you posted. Not used to  reading the actual chart. Sorr you have to wait so to find out. Hope you have good results

.harishill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.