New dx, when to start médication?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, I was diagnosted a week ago after asking my Dr for time off due to extreme fatigue. I am 51.She first thought it was a depression, but asked for a blood test Just in case. Went on Friday and got a call Saturday, my hemoglobine was at 194 and hematocrite 577. Saw an hematologist, got my first phlebotomy and bone marrow biopsy the same day since I was positive for JAK-2. Fatigue, very bad itching on feet especially in hot summer days, migraines and tinnitus are things I have been living with for years, hoping they will go away with treatments. My hematologist has already talked to me about Jakafi, what do you think? Is it too soon? Would it be preferable to start with Hydrea?

Thank you

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Marie

Your Haematocrit is high but the Phlebotomies should help to reduce and control that however, the Phlebotomies themselves can in turn cause your platelets to then rise, which happens in approximately 50% of patients with primary polycythaemia. I was able to control my levels for a while with Phlebotomies and a drug called Clopidogrel, which is a blood thinning agent but finally had to go on other medication as my platelets just steadily got higher and higher. First line treatment here in the UK is Hydroxycarbamide tablets or interferon alpha injections depending on your age. I was offered either drug and decided on Hydroxycarbamide as I wasn’t too keen on the possible side effects of interferon. Other medication such as Jakafi are offered as an alternative  if these first line treatments are considered in-effective or are not tolerated well by the patient. The thing to remember is that primary pv affects people in different ways, no two people are necessarily the same although I can relate to the migraines and tinnitus that you suffer from. I used to suffer terrible migraines with aura but these have stopped. They didn’t stop straightaway in fact, they became worse shortly after I started the Phlebotomy programme but approximately 5 months into the treatment, they finally ceased altogether. The tinnitus however is still there. I do have moderate hearing loss as well so it is not known whether this is caused by that or the pv however, my audiologist fitted me with two hearing aids and this has helped enormously with my tinnitus as well as improved hearing. The problem is when it comes to night time and I have to take them out to sleep. I bought what is known as a “tinnitus relaxer”, which is basically a sound oasis, which plays various soothing sounds of nature such as rainforest, surf, running stream, rain etc, It detracts from my tinnitus and helps get me off to sleep. The music can run continuously or at 90, 60 or 30 minute durations. When playing the 90, 60 or 30 minute programmes, the music volume gradually gets quieter and quieter until it fades completely.  It even helps my wife to doze off as well, so no conflict there which is great. I bought it from an online company called “Action on Hearing Loss” and for me it has been a god send. Look them up online. The devices are not that dear and you may find it will help with your tinnitus too. I generally play the 30 minute duration!

Hope the above helps a little.

Kind regards

Keith

• Posted

Hi Keith

l'll keep that tip in mind for my tinnitus ! (night time is the worse)  l'm not sure whether mine is from PRV or heriditary as my Dad had tinnitus but didn't have PRV.

cheers

Paul

• Posted

Hi Paul

For me, it was well worth investing in it. I play it every night without fail and take it with me if I am away from home. It’s very relaxing, which is great if you have had a stressful day.

All the very best to you.

Keith

• Posted

I really enjoy you comments. You are so informative Keith. Nice to have such input from you. Just to be able to help the ones that are new to this. I was that new one a year ago, blood test revealed it. From there sooooo many tests. Sleep apnea, cat scans, ultra sounds, heart monitor, ekg, two bone marrow aspirations, blood work and more blood work. This forum was there for me. Thankyou Keith for being there! 
    • Posted

Hello Ellen

Many thanks for your kind words and pleased that you have found some of my posts to be helpful to you. Like many others on this forum, I try to offer support where I can based on the knowledge I have acquired although you may have seen that I too needed guidance not so long ago as I was undecided as to whether I should go on to interferon injections or hydroxycarbamide in order to better control my blood levels and in particular, I needed to reduce my platelet count. I received some very good advice from some of my fellow sufferers. The Haematologists are the medical professionals, which we ultimately turn to and rely on for our treatment and diagnosis but they perhaps cannot truly relate to the emotional anxiety, which as “patients” we all go through.

Many thanks again for your kind words.

With warmest regards

Keith  

• Posted

HI Marie! This forum is amazing. I have received so much information here. Mine is secondary but symptoms the same. I was put on blood thinners because the low dose aspirin was not working. I ended up with small blood clots in my lung. Each one of us is different but keep your chin up and always reach out for help here. Amazing people here. Saved my sanity. From Canada to you with caring. 
    • Posted

You are right Ellen, the information on this forum is very helpful. I didn't think I would get that many responses to my question. I'm grateful to all who replied. What part of Canada are you from? I am from Sherbrooke Quebec and very lucky to live 10 minutes from a state of the university hospital and have universal health insurance.

All the responses I got tell me to know my numbers, that I'll do from now on. Also, I'll ask more questions to my hematologist before taking any medication.

Thank you all very much

• Posted

I am from Sarnia Ontario. I forgot to mention that I also have B-12 injections that help with the fatigue that goes with Polycytemia. 
  • Posted

Every individual is different, I am taking Hydrea, do not have side effect ( so far ).

I believe Jakafi may work for you, give it a try and share with us your result.

• Posted

I see my haematologist January 4, it will depend how my numbers have gone down with the weekly phlébotomies, the first time, nothing had moved. I'm hoping to stick with only phlebotomy for a while, no hurry for any medication.

• Posted

Hi Marie,

As long as you feel good, comtinue with what you are doing.

I watch my food very carefully, not too much oily food, not too much sugar.

I continue with my walks, about 10,000 steps per day.

hope thing works well. I will be going to check my blood in Feb 2017....Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.