Nexium vs non branded esomoprazole

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi 

I have been on lansoprazole 30 mgs for about 10 years now. Recently I was under a lot of stress and had a bad flare up. My doctor referred me to a gastronentologist which 2 weeks. By the time my appointment I had improved a lot through eating foods that did not trigger acid. The gastronentologist performed an endoscopy and told me I have a rolling hiatus hernia. She changed my medication to 40mg  Nexium and told me to continue with my diet until she saw me again in 2 weeks. She only gave me 2 weeks of Nexium so I had got a repeat from my doctor. By this time I was having the odd biscuit, a tiny bit of sugar in my porridge, milk with my porridge, cucumber. Things were getting better. Anyway I started the new tablets that the gp gave me, they are not the Nexium brand but apparently are exactly the same (esomoprazole) and I have been in complete agony with what seems to be very very bad acid reflux and stomach burning. I would also like to point out that I had some steak pie the night before I started the tablets and felt some acid that night. So I am thinking it could be the steak pie or more than likely the new tablets. I am back to eating porridge with water, maybe a banana for a snack and chicken with veg in the evening. The pain I have now is worse than it has ever been. What I want to know is if any one else has experienced this with non branded esomoprazole. My doctor won't give me the Nexium brand.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

There are many different PPIs and all are as effective as each other whentaken in equivalent dose. But some patients tolerate one more than another. Nexium is 10 times more expensive than other drugs that are as good.

Have you tried Omeprazole (Prilosec). or pantoprazole (Protonix)?

The graphc shows a comparison chart with UK prices but the US prices are shown on the Barrett's wessex website under Treatments/Drugs.

• Posted

I was fine on lansoprazole until I had my flare up. Thanks for the price chart. It looks like my doctor won't give it to me due to funding. I have only tried Nexium and lansoprazole. Today I have decided to not take anything as I think I couldn't tolerate the new tablets the go gave me. I am going to start lansoprazole again tomorrow and hopefully it will start to clear up.
  • Posted

Hi N . My GP won't give me Nexium on a nhs prescription but I can have it on a private prescription. I've always paid for script until I was 60 and hey ho my scripts were now free. I'm 65 now and  the only medication I'm on are inhaler and Nexium so I get quite angry but Nexium are the only ones that work for me.  And this is about what  Astrazenica charge for Nexium  And yes it's all about diet to but when the hospital put me on Nexium it was to be taken when I needed it not to take everyday As I pointed out to my GP but to no avail.  So unfortunately it's on private scrip for me £37.  Plus watch what I eat. 

• Posted

Hi J thank for your reply. I think it is same with my gp, he won't prescribe me Nexium. I stopped the esomoprazole he prescribed me as they gave me so much pain. I went back on 30 mgs lansoprazole and things have eased quite a lot. I left a message with my private doctor on Friday to see if we can proceed with surgery as I have been in that much pain. I have been on lansoprazole for a long time so I know they work with me. I just hope it settles again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.