No symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

Can anyone help me please,I have recently been told I have fibrosis on my lungs after a routine X-ray,since then I have had 2 more X-rays,spirometer tests,lung function tests and a Bronchial wash.all the readings and the wash have either showed no abnormalities or as in the X-ray's slight scarring on the bottom of my lungs,I have no breathlessness,no coughing or wheezing so I am at a loss.my consultant wants me to have another C.T scan and if that doesn't tell him what type of fibrosis it is he then wants me to have a lung biopsy.Seeing as I have no symptoms whatsoever he said its in the early stages whatever it is,I am at a complete loss and don't really want a biopsy if I can avoid it,I am age 54,a smoker and a type 1 diabetic. can anyone help with my query please,any advice will be much appreciated,thanks.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Scotty. Yes I had a HD scan which showed an abnormality.I was thern referred for a biopsy which gave conclusive diagnosis. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating " biopsy for everyone" but whilst it wasn't the most pleasant event it certainly wasn't as traumatic as I thought it might be.

Initially I was prescribed N.A.C. which didn't really do much for me. I was also getting frequent  chest infections which really caused me problems so they put me on some permanent antibiotics called Septrin. Initial results have indicated that one of the side affects of Septrin is of benefit to IPF so that's a bonus.

I take 3 tablets a week and it's on going until I hopefully start treatment with a new drug called Nintedanib in earlyJuly. It won't provide a cure but may help to slow down progression of the fibrosis. It's been approved by N.I.C.E. and is on limited release through the NHS. 

I also have ambulatory oxygen which is really useful if I have to exert myself e.g. mow the lawn, walk a distance - that type of thing.

One really important thing to do is to keep as fit as you can - even though it's not a great feeling to make yourself breathless when, as with myself, I'm often breathless anyway!

Good luck mate! Be positive: it's so much more pleasant than being negative - for you and those who care about you.

There are new medications becoming available all the time and, God willing, maybe a cure will be found.

• Posted

Thank you so much john for all the info,it will all go towards my decision on whether I have the biopsy..if one is needed.i do think whatever I have it is in the very early stages because as the title of my post states I have no symptoms whatsoever..I'm still waiting an appointment for my HD ct scan,so fingers crossed I get a result from that and I won't need a biopsy.
  • Posted

I have been told today that I have fibrosis on my lungs?

But, I've suffered for years with shortness of breath, chest stabbing and dry cough.  Like you I've had the tests too.  I just think you doctor is being very thorough, my doctors have taken months and months to get a diagnosis.  Not had a Bronchial wash tho, is it unpleasant?  I wish you well the CT scan has much more detail on it, take a look at You Tube there's a lot of descriptions on it.

• Posted

I am wondering, are broncho washes unpleasant?

Thank you, and Scotty, Good Luck, please keep us updated!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.