NSAID gel. Stomach problems?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been advised by a rheumatologist to use a NSAID gel to help with hip bursitis.  If I take oral ibuprofen I get severe stomach pain and have to take a stomach protector with it.  However, the last time I used an ibuprofen gel I vomited a few hours after applying it.

The doctor said it was just coincidence and the gel was perfectly safe.  Has anybody else had this sort of side effect with a NSAID gel?  I'm a bit nervous about starting to apply a gel again.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I can't take any anti inflammatories for the same reason as you but have no problem with the gel. I think your doctor is right because the gel is absorbed directly into the skin and doesn't affect the stomach at all.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I'll give it a go.
    • Posted

It's worth a try and I suppose it's worth looking at the in depth medical notes regarding the particular gel you are using. Sometimes there can be just the slightest contraindication that can affect say 1:10,000 for instance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.