Obtaining copies of blood work

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all. I've posted before asking questions and everyone here has been so helpful but now I have another question  - sorry.  I'm in UK and wanted to know if I can ask for copies of my FBC results from my family doctor (who is a stranger to me actually).  I would like to ask for print outs for say, the last 5 years at least, so I can decide whether I need to see a haemotologist.  Last family doc (GP) visit showed me on screen my  results and he scribbled down 166 HGB (?) and polycythemia r.v. I can't remember other results.  I'd like to know what steps to take, GP not unduly concerned.  I'm a 67 year old female,  Oh to add GP did say 'the expensive tests have to come from a haemotologist' I think he meant jak2 gene tests?  I'm just so confused and lost.  j.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Not sure how it works in England, but in belfast I can see my medical records if I choose to. I think I only have to give notice in advance. Can't see it being much different where you are.

• Posted

Hi Jessie regarding medical records, we got copies of my wife's but it was on a court order! I think u can see records but copies am not sure regards

• Posted

Hi Jessie.  I had a routine blood test and my Dr thought the Hb was high, "probably nothing to worry about" so referred me to a haematologist.  She found the JAK2 gene problem was the cause of my Polycythaemia RV.   I had no symptoms to speak of (apart from ones that could be menopausal too) but the haematologist made me aware of the seriousness of the condition.  I have a monthly blood test and if my HCT is too high I have blood drawn off.  I am on a daily aspirin and have been advised to try to drink 3L of water a day.  It's hard to motivate yourself when you have no symptoms though!  I don't see why you shouldn't have a blood test for the JAK2.  See another doctor and ask to be referred to a haematologist. Alison

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.