Oestrogen/Progesterone

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have Turner Syndrome and am on the oestrogen/progesterone treatment. I was wondering why the contraceptive pill is not generally prescribed? Isn't it basically the same thing?

Also, I should technically only get my period after the 28 days of pills, however the earliest I've got it is the 25th. Is this normal?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I didn't know Turner women could have a period, so it's all news to me.  I think you need to talk to your doctor as to what therapy you're presecribed and why.
    • Posted

You seem to be incredibly ignorant and annoying as such. Do a little bit of research before replying to posts like this.
    • Posted

Instead of wasting your time being offensive you could have decided to be informative.  All the Turner women I have known, that's 2, could not have a menstrual cycle, they inferred they were typical.  But really I wasn't that interested and now even less.
    • Posted

"posts like this"  there are none like this, most Truner females are infertile.  That's according to PubMed, since you don't want to give out any other information I'll go with their figures.  

Most pregnancies that do occur are stillborn, or defective, or fail to proceed, they spontaneously abort.  So why would a Turner female want to have a menstural cycle when her chances of devliery of a healthy child were so low, those that can actually conceive that is?

Most Turner females have ovarian dysgenesis, and are infertile as a result.  It just doesn't make any sense that a Turner female would not know about why the contraceptive pill isn't used, when contraception not an activity  most would have any interest in.  Their doctors too would not have any intersst in prescribing contraception, or pills that did not contain the full range of female hormones.  That is just a guess of course, you really ought to know much more than me.  

When people ask me about fertility for men with Klinefelters' syndrome I never refer to them as ignorant and annoying, but then I do like to provide information, never know it might be useful to someone, some day?

• Posted

Hi, well to the best of my understanding which may be wrong as i only know what hormone'/endocrinologists have told me, that the pill only contains oestrogen not both oestrogen and progesterone. I was on oestrogen implants and took a progesterone pill daily for years until last year (2013) in fact. The pharmacuetical company which make these implants stopped making them for Australia becos there were not enough ppl using them, so they were no longer available. So i was put on the Pill instead but still took the progesterone pill as well. Since then i have developed a major DVT and subsequent PE due to the fact that if you are over 40 you should not take the Pill or any form of Eostrogen. It is not in black or white that u will get DVTs but it can lead to that. I am never allowed to have Eostrogen ever again in this lifetime as even when my blood clot disappears (approx 3yrs) becos i have had one makes me more likely to develop another one easily. I can still take progesterone. I dont know what will happen without Eostrogen as i have never been without it. Sorry i cant be of more help. I dont know anything about periods as i have never had them since having a full hysterectomy at age 22, in which they removed my ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus and cervix. Since then, no periods at all. Before that i wasnt on hormone replacement as i didnt know i had anything wrong with me.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.