Omeprazol and effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone experienced palpitations on taking this PPI? I was getting them once a week while in 20mg tablets and once when out feel really bad so went to the Hospital. They kept me in over but did not find anything wrong. Also I think I had Arrhythmia. When I stopped the PPI things seemed to get much better.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have experienced palpitations with other tablets, not ppis though and I think it means you may have a minor allergy to them. every ppi is a bit different so you may find with another one you are ok. I had a reaction to a couple of blood thinning medications, but found one which was suitable after a trying couple of different ones. Also I used to get palpitations with antihistamines, but I don't any more because what I thought was a reaction to the tablet was another underlying health issue. If you notice the palpitations come back when you aren't on PPIs, you need to get that looked into. Palpitations can be affected by hormones, so it may have been that the time you were on omeprazole, your hormones were dipping or rising. Keep a diary of when you get them, if you get the palpitations again and you may find a pattern of when they occur.

• Posted

You are right in that every PPI and patient are different. It could be an allergy. For what it's worth, I have been on patient info boards discussing PPIs for a long time and would be confident in saying palpitations (along with other issues) are a common occurrence when taking PPIs. I would talk to your doctor and ask him/her if you can stop taking PPIs. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks both. One reason I take PPI is for acid but I can manage the diet to virtually eliminate that. The other reason is that I take 75mg aspirin and Dr say I should take the PPI the same time to protect the stomach. Thing is though the PPI also gives me foot cramp at night. I did try Lamprazol but that also gave me cramps.

• Posted

why do you take aspirin if you don't mind me asking? Are you a high risk for strokes or heart problems?

• Posted

Good luck! I too have palpitations as a result of chronic PPI use and as a result was put on baby aspirin. I also suffer from cramps in my toes and back muscles.

• Posted

Hi Happyhacker, First, if you had an Arrhythmia no matter the cause, you need to follow up on that with your Dr. but, Yes your PPI can cause side effects like palpitations, (not all palpitations are heart related but, you NEED TO KNOW, esp..if you are taking aspirin as Dr advice, its for a reason, you need to be sure if its heart related before switching to another ) PPIs can also cause a disruption in your Magnesium absorption that can cause low Magnesium leading to cramps. If you skip the PPI you can try coated aspirin(if not already) they digest further down, decreasing its contents in the upper stomach. There are MANY other PPIs on the market depending on where you live if you & your Dr decide its safe & needed....Omeprazole, Pantoprazole, Rabeprazole, to name a few...ask about any side effects that concern you!! Good Luck with this, hopefully its sorted out soon!! BEST WISHES💒♾🐾🍀☮🎶🌈💞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.