omeprazol now lansoprazole not working.??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Im now quite poorly and needing some advice..Between September and November last year i was rushed to A&E 6 times with really bad chest and back pain,ecg bloods and chest xrays done on every occassion i was embarrasingly sent home and told my doctor needed to refere me for tests.. Come December i was admitted spent 5days in hospital having tests.. the outcome a hiatus hernia and gerd. I left hospital in the same pain as i entered.. Omeprzol i was feeling sick,when could eat sick, bile constantly coming up so was changed to lansoprazole, Now i feel this isnt working im constantly bringing up bile headaches, my chestpain has increased tenfold and now having to take stronger painkillers and whats worse i have completely lost my appitite.. i want to eat but i cant.. I am suffering from anxiety but just wondered if these tablets havent worked for others..?? now its got to the stage i have little energy and feeling worse then ever im needing some help xx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear Koo, Have you had a CT scan? I ask this because x-rays do not reveal soft tissue abnormalities or tumours. I know this because, like you, I ended up in A & E three times and x- rays, bloods etc revealed nothing out of the ordinary. My medical problem over a period of twenty months was cyclical vomiting syndrome but as was proven after my last 'episode', the underlying cause was a 6" x 4" tumour growing out from the tail of my pancreas. I had been seeing the same doctor but after this episode, I saw a different doctor who physically examined me and could feel something unusual. He sent me for a CT scan within days, then a biopsy and then the devastating news that I have pancreatic cancer. My last visit to A & E was me being dismissed with gastro enteritis and a prescription for Omeprazole and an anti emetic to control the vomiting. I have no wish to alarm you but back pain, unexplained weight loss are all pointers to the so called 'silent cancer'. I knew I didn't need Omeprazole and I didn't take it but unfortunately, my weight loss of three stones in twenty months didn't ring alarm bells with my regular doctor.

The main point I want to stress is for you to somehow insist on a CT scan. It is the only thing that will definitively say whether there is anything more sinister going on. I have no alternative now but to face the chemo, hopefully to shrink the tumour, before surgery. Good luck! Be brave and try to insist on a CT scan. Rgds Chereene

• Posted

Thank you for responding.. i am happy for you that they found your cause but sad at the same time, im sorry to read this.. In answer to your question yes i have had a ct, was one when they put liquid through your veins i also had a burium swallow which showed some weirdness in my tummy muscles but have yet to hear back from consultant so have to presume all is well.. This is where im at my wits end.. id like to think as they said i have been mot'd from top to bottom but still no reason for my pain constant reflex and vomitting.. I wish you best of luck with your chemo Chereene.. what im suffereing with seems kinda insignificant now.. best wishes K xx 

• Posted

Dear Koo, What you are suffering is very significant and you need to get to the bottom of it. If you have lost your appetite, weight loss will follow and depression will be a natural consequence. The last time I saw my regular doctor, my first words to him were "I can't go on losing weight like this". I was so depressed being eight stones instead of my fighting weight of nearly eleven. I am 63 and that kind of weight loss is not desirable but like you, I lost my appetite and felt depressed. He said I would start gaining weight once I started feeling better. Well that was never going to happen. In fact, out of the three options he offered me a) anti-depressants as they are supposed to be effective for CVS b) referral to gastro clinic again or c) Insight for therapy! I chose Insight believe it or not because I felt so low. I still wouldn't know today about my tumour if it was down to him - I'd be having counselling instead! Maybe it is time for a second CT scan. I do hope you find the root cause of your problem. Best wishes once again Chereene xx

• Posted

Hi Koo, I have had stomach/ indigestion problems for years and have ben on Omeprazole then changed to Lansoprazole last January 16', i didnt think this was working and went back in the March (told to carry on with it) then went back at the end of APril 16' and was told to double up the lamsoprazole dose, 3 days later I had an Nstemi Heart attack where my bloods showed that my Troponin levels were high. I had this 5 nights a week up to mid AUgust 16' which was hell.

I had pains in my spine between my shoulder blades which radiated across my blades and down to both elbows. It then came through to the front of my chest which felt hollow!! i dont know if this is what you experienced? I had a very good diet but I now avoid dairy, pork, wheat and I dont eat a lot of red meat. It got rid of the pains but I still have discomfort in my gall bladder area which my GP says he is investigating but it is very wearing waiting on tests.I was advised to take more and more painkillers but in Aug 16' I passed out and banged my head on a wall at home, my wife thought i was dead. she got an ambulance and they did the usual bloods at A & E then sent me home. Ive stopped the painkillers and heavily adjusted what I ate.

• Posted

Hi jockt,

I still find it hard to eat now.. i have done the trials and errors of what i can and cant tollerate but more often then not im sick even anti sick tabs dont help and then that puts me off eating completely.. as yourself i am in pain in my chest and middle back (most my right shoulder blade) reaching and being sick is the worst... 

I can only presume they seem to think its something i can cope with (even though im signed off work) im 39. Apparently i have had a full mot and apart from the hietas hernia, gord and something do with muscles in tummy im fine..!!!  Fine to me is when i can work and get on with my life.. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.