Omeprazole

Posted , 2 users are following.

I began taking Omeprazole last week after experiencing upper stomach pains from what the dr reckons is a long term side effect of taking dicloflex and tramadol.  I was feeling fine until Saturday when I was in a shop with my daughter and I suddenly began to feel faint.  She suggested sitting down while she when to fetch her Dad from outside but I couldn't see so just draped myself over a clothes rail.  I can vaguely remember realising that my husband was holding me up but remember nothing after that until I came round in the back of an ambulance.  I had had a full blown fit!!! I am still feeling dizzy and confused which is vey scared but the dr has no answers except that it takes a while for people to recover from having a fit.  the medics and des think that the reason I had the fit was because I didn't lie down when I initially felt faint!?!  I have never experienced anything like this before so I am starting to think either I am seriously ill or it is a side effect to this new medication I am on.  Like others I feel panicky, can't concentrate, struggle to think and recall, have a racing heart, feel shaky .....not nice!!  has anyone else experienced this or have any tips?  I took my last tablet at 8:30am this morning and don't intend on taking anymore after reading some of these stories....I'll keep the pain in my belly over feeling like this anyway!!!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Also, not sure if it is related but I am peeing much more often!
  • Posted

Don' t worry but yes, it is a side effect of this pills. I had the same problems, being dizzy and just wondering when I'm gonna fall down. If possible go off this poison pills and try something else. I lived in an agony for almost 4 months because of it. Beside this feeling later on I got anxiety and panic attacks....i wish i never took them!
  • Posted

My mum was recently given omeprazole after being put on tramadol for about a month. This was following a knee replacement and she developed an upset stomach which the doctors suspected was due to the tramadol. Anyway she had already decided to come off the tramadol because she wasn't feeling good and had TERRIBLE withdrawal as this drug is highly addictive and virtually everyone we spoke to agreed that it shouldn't be dished out as willy nilly as it is. When she complained to the hospital about the fact they had put her on such an addictive drug with no warning whatsoever they dismissed her concerns and told her she should have read the leaflet (!!!)

My point is that my mums symptoms were similar to what you mentioned and so your problems may have been caused by the tramadol and/or its interaction with the omeprazole. Is also typical of some doctors to prescribe drugs that mask (switch off) symptoms without addressing the cause and we really do need to be more proactive when we consider our own health etc.

• Posted

For me its definately not the Tramadol alone but possibily a combination if the 2 together.  I have been on Tramadol now for 7 years as a result of cronic back pain and never experienced the likes before.  I was the same as your Mum - given Tramadol with no warning and when I questioned the dr at a later date he said it didnt matter that they were addictive as i would be on them for life anyway 😳
    • Posted

Oh dear, you really might want to consider the possibility that your doctor has a very narrow (pharmaceuticaly trained/influenced?) perspective? My ex wife did a combination of sweedish body massage, reiki etc etc and worked wonders with people with chronic back pain without drugs etc.

I once had help from a chiropractic who re-aligbed something in about 2 mins which solved all manner of problems whereas the doctors tend to ignore causes and only treat effects (which seems utterly insane to me!)

Just a suggestion?

• Posted

Mark you are right!  I have been taking medication from my doctor without question for far too long and it is time I took some control back as to what I put into my body.  My first step is to come off the Tramadol - I have recieved a lot of good advice on here from people who have been in similar situations.  Then I need to look at alternitave methods of pain relief and good back management.  I have a friend who does reiki etc and I have been meaning to start yoga- I think now is the time to make a change!

• Posted

Good for you! But take your time as probably wise to wean yourself off slowly. All the best with this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.