Omeprazole and body cramps/ spams

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was put on omeprazole by my gastroenterologist. I took it for approximately five weeks when I started to have moderate- severe leg spasms. This would  go on for hours. I told my gastroenterologist about it and he told me that usually this was a side effect if you took it for a long time. I stopped taking th med on February 8th and I’m still having some

Leg/ for/ back spasms... not nearly as severe, but it still there. Can anybody tell me how long this will take to stop? I’m becoming discouraged. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Personally this was not a side effect I experienced but if it’s a recognised one, then hopefully someone will be able to enlighten you.

Its probably safe to assume that after 5 weeks of taking this horrible drug, that it will take a little time to revert. Maybe get a good magnesium supplement if you haven’t already smile

Out of interest, did your doctor warn you of any possible side effects so that you could make up your mind whether you wanted the risk, before taking them?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.