Omeprazole and Fiber

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey all 😃

So I have been on 40mg of Omeprazole daily (taken in the morning) for months. In addition to this, I have been been attempting to increase my fiber intake due to hard/large stools causing hemmerhoids/fissures during bowel movements. Every fiber supplement I look at suggests not taking ANY medication within 2 hours of the supplement. But does this apply to meals as well?

For example, I was told to start eating a high fiber cereal for breakfast, such as FiberOne. 1.5-2 cups of this cereal can net me nearly 20g of dietary fiber. But should I eat this 30 minutes after taking my dose of Omeprazole??? Will I block the medication's absorption and effectiveness?

Thanks for the advice all!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

So you don't have to take your ppi medication in the morning at the same time, you can take it whenever you like. I am not sure if it will if it will block the effectiveness of the cereal, but if it is a possibility, take the omeprazole at another time.

Something to help with hard stools are olives and avocados. I try and have some every day as well as plenty of water. Try and sprinkle linseeds over your salads for extra fibre, they are full of omega 3 so very good for you. Another thing that is very good for your bowels is aloe vera juice.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply 😃

Yes, avacados is something I have (when they are on sale at the store lol). And you say Omeprazole can be taken any time throughout the day? My GI told me in the morning before breakfast but perhaps that is not strictly necessary as it builds up in your body anyway?

Thanks again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.