Omeprazole and mood change?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I have taken omeprazole for about 6 months now with no real noticeable side effects at first.

It was prescribed for a sinus issue that the GP thought was caused by reflux.

Whilst on these, it seems my stomach was constantly upset. The flatulence was unbelievable.

About a month in though, my mood has become so flat and dull. I just seem very down and not myself, my wife has pointed it out through concern. I don't feel depressed per say, more just zoned out and generally a lot of steering into space blankly, and no real interest in doing anything.

Also my sex drive had plummeted, I was just not interested.

I have decided to discontinue these drugs and after about 3 weeks my mood has picked up dramatically and sex drive returned! It's like a massive rebound.

I am just generally surprised at how much these can do to you.

However, I have have a really bad reflux issue which I didn't have before. Burping, acid coming up my throat and heartburn at night. No winning!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It's really individual. If you reflux is persisting then just go for H2's or try to change your PPI brand... I got used to pantoprazole, being on it 1.5 years non stop - daily basis without any noticeably issues. Do more you take the drug the more used to you become to it, but again some start to see side effects after years of taking some instantly, some never... There are a lot of parameters which play a big role when it comes to meds side effects. First one and most important is your genetics. How well your body get's rid of the medication...

Again, if you have to control your acid reflux then switch to pantoprazole, rabeprazole, esomeprazole, dexlansoprazole, lansoprazole, there a variety of this drugs available... If PPIs affect you in a negative way then go to H2 blockers (famotidine, ranitidine). These drugs have been proven safe (especially when compared to PPIs in the recent studies)

• Posted

I'm trying to get off it right now and am having horrific burning in my stomach.  I'm trying to change to a H2 blocker.  I'm pretty sure that it caused my osteoporosis.  I've been on it for over 10 years.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.