Omeprazole and side effects?

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I have been on Omeprazole for 6 months. In the last 2 months I have experienced chills, night sweats,body aches( especially my knees), extreme thirst and very low energy. Has anybody experienced any of these side effects? I have been to my Dr. and have had full bloodwork done and he cannot find anything wrong. I am getting desperate for a solution and just decided to google omprazole and side effects. I was suprised to find this discussion. My family Dr. told me there are virtually no side effects with omeprazole.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi , I also have experienced all of these side effects and continue to do so , the dry mouth is day and night and I drink lots of water to offset this , yes it's crazy that you can have chills and then night sweats , aches and pains are part of it, I go to the gym every day to warm up,stretch and lift weights , anything to take my mind of these side effects , after 4 years I am coming to terms with it all and manage it as best I can, the main thing for you is to know that most people get these side effects and there is nothing else wrong with you as the blood tests show 

good luck

• Posted

Well, side effects and PPIs it seems like a never ending story...

Let us make an introduction here…

What are the side effects from PPIs in general?

Common:

Headache

Nausea

Diarrhea

Abdominal pain

Fatigue

Dizzines

Infrequent:

Rash

Itch

Flatulence

Constipation

Anxiety

Depression

Why do you get side effects (maybe) and someone else doesn't?

Many factors can increase the likelihood of an adverse drug reaction. They include:

1.Simultaneous use of several drugs

2.Very young or old age

3.Pregnancy

4.Breastfeeding

Hereditary factors make some people more susceptible to the toxic effects of certain drugs. Certain diseases can alter drug absorption, metabolism, and elimination and the body's response to drugs, increasing the risk of adverse drug reactions. How mind-body interactions, such as mental attitude, outlook, belief in self, and confidence in health care practitioners, influence adverse drug reactions remains largely unexplored.

What can you try to minimize or even eliminate side effects from this drug?

There isn’t a guide on what a patient should do in order to minimize the chances of getting a side effect from this drug. However there are general known principles:

1.Work out

2.Eat healthy

3.Reduce your stress levels

4.If you have an anxiety disorder then try to minimize it. It can be achieved with certain therapies

5.Remove the trigger food from your diet

6.Treat your disease with medication appropriately

7. Change your PPI drug to another PPI drug if side effects continue (lansoprazole, rabeprazole, esomeprazole, pantoprazole, dexlansoprazole)

8. Adjust the dosage

My opinion is that your body should have adapted to this drug by now and that you should not experience such severe side effects, question is, what else are you taking, which other drugs are you taking?

Do you have any kind of anxiety disorder or have had anxiety in your life (I'm talking about longterm stress here)

Do you drink alcohol continously?

Basically can you blame your condition that you have, other medication, lifestyle to the things that are happening to you right now? If you can't, that there is a high probability that you are having this sides from omeprazole but first consider analyzing the rest things and do some kind of elimination.

If ever you change your drug and the side effects continue then do a more thorough examination of your body for example: Thyroid, abdomen ultrasound, and a deeper blood examination... That would be good for a start...

• Posted

One of the side effects of Omeprazole is to block nutrients to bones, joints, and cartilage. See; http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/1788456.

In New Zealand Vitamin B12 levels ranges for healthy people between 140-650 pmol/L.

I had arthritis type pains through out my body and after blood works was told that every thing was OK.  My B12 was 163 pmol/L.

After a  lot of research I found that my problem may be due to low a level of vitamin B12.  Japan has set there levels for B12 to between 500 to 1300 pmol/L in 1980.  There are many doctors that consider Japan is correct and other countries should raise there levels to match the Japanese.

I have started raising my B12 levels and are very pleased with the results.  See this tread;  https://patient.info/forums/discuss/proton-pump-causes-joint-pain-585624?page=0&order=Oldest

• Posted

Side eefcts of omeprazole are rare. But if you think this is due to omeprazole, ask to switch to lansoprazole or pantoprazole instead.

• Posted

Hi.im on omeprazole 20mg twice a day.does anyone else feel light headed constantly? I'm suffering with health anxiety as well but my light headedness is really getting me down I get shakes as well.im really not enjoying life at tithe minute

• Posted

Hi Jason, yes I can confirm I have had the same side effects, again I can say it's taken me 4 years to adapt , but I have and I am handling it a lot better now, ask your doctor if you can reduce dose , maybe take a vitamin D supplement and Vitamin B 12 , this has helped me considerably and importantly take good regular exercise

good luck

ps I was also on 20 mg twice daily which has now been reduced to once daily, lifestyle changes also helped

• Posted

Hi peacock.thanks for replying.thing is since I've been taking them I feel so down it's not like me at all I've been suffering with anxiety to the point where all I can think about is cancer for some reason.and with all the shakes and light headedness it's just coming to that point I wanna give up.ive seen 7 gps in 3 months and none of them seem worried all my bloods are normal had ive had blood tests for all sorts.having someone to talk to does help as family think I'm nuts.i just wanna be myself again.

What was you on omeprazole for ? I take pro biotics sometimes

• Posted

You have an anxiety problem not omeprazole problem..
    • Posted

How long have you been taking them in total? and what dosage 
    • Posted

I know I have a anxiety problem it's ruining my life.im on 20mg twice a day.i wanna enjoy having my son but at the min I can't shake this problem.i do still get the stomach pain but the doctors think this is a acid problem

• Posted

Hi Jason , youknow why they can't find anything because there is nothing to find other than the problem you are taking the medication for, once you accept that and move on you will feel a lot better, all the things you have said I have been there and here I am now with a better understanding of my situation, it's the medication !!!! But you can beat it by being positive , exercise and a good lifestyle and you will be yourself again, don't let it beat you and if you need to talk ask your doctor for a referral to Physcology, it all helps to restore balance

Good Luck

• Posted

How long have you been taking them in total? and what dosage. Ofcourse if you are willing to share the info..
    • Posted

Hi, I have been on the medication for 4.5 years at a dosage of 20mg twice daily which I have recently reduced to 20mg once daily 
    • Posted

Do you plan to stay on it for life? Can you even go without it? I 25.5 years of age and think that I will spend my entire life on it, without it I feel miserable..
    • Posted

I appreciate your comments mate really do I can't talk to my family about it because they don't take me seriously.just talking to you and others on here helps for a little while then all of a sudden I'm stressing out worrying sick.its weird it's all of a sudden come out of nowhere I started googling I know shouldn't have but I stil do it and read the same things and everything always leads to cancer 😢I know I shouldn't google but once I started it I can't stop.im miserable it's getting me down.cheers for taking your time to help me

• Posted

Hi Jason.  I was on omeprazole 20 mg and was also light headed. I found that by raising my B12 levels that it went away.  See my post above
    • Posted

Hi yes I will stay on the medication for life as I have Barrett's , I am 69 you are young there has to be a better solution for you , talk to your doctor about a

ternatives

• Posted

I've got Barrett's at age 19 after 3 months of experiencing heartburn... cheesygrin. It seems that I'm unique, a extremly low amount of people get's Barrett's at this age..

• Posted

Wow that's unlucky, I would without a doubt explore other alternatives being so young

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.