Omeprazole and thinning hair

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been taking Omeprazole for 8 months now. I find that my hair is becoming very thin. I always had a full thick head of hair and am now getting worried about this side effect. Is this normal. Has anyone else felt this?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have been taking Omeprazole for several months and have suffered severe hair loss just recently. This is a recognised side effect and my doctor advised me to stop taking it immediately. Apparently this condition is reversible and takes about 8 months for the new hair to grow back, I'll let you know if that is the case in 7 months !!!
    • Posted

Did you hair grow back? I have severe hair loss and stopped taking Omprezalole 3 days ago but it's even worse.

• Posted

If you want to have your hair grow back faster book a private appointment with a dermatologist who should give you steriod treatment - I had hair growth within 10 days. Also a key reason this drug is linked to alopecia areata is that it inhibits your uptake of key vitamins for hair growth - try a multi vitamin and iron tablets to help speed the process up.
    • Posted

A dermatologist does this? I thought they only took care of skin. That's good to know.

• Posted

I stopped taking Omeprazole 2 months ago yet my hair is still falling out and over the last 2 weeks has got very fine. Is this normal or will it reverse? I was only taking Omeprazole for 4 weeks, I cant believe it has done so much damage!
  • Posted

My hair falling out too. Stopped drug 3 days ago but even worse. Will hair regrow after taking Omprezalole?
  • Posted

Try swopping your PPI to pantoprazole or to a H2 if they suit and work that is.  I was on Pantoprazole for over 2 years, a great med that sorted my long standing stomach problems out 98%.  But then I started itching, like mad itching.  Tried H2s did nothing for me so back on Omeprazole again now (was on it for years).  I will try to move back to pantoprazole in a few months.  I'm afraid that mixing and swopping meds is part and parcel.  I do take magnesium, D and B12 everyday now also. Meds all have side effects and these can be so individual that the docs and pharmacies will tell you it cant be the meds lol.     

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.