Omeprazole has ruined my life

Posted , 89 users are following.

I really regret taking prilosec, i fell ill with a virus last december that caused gastroenteritis (severe acid reflux and diarrhea).. i was told to take omeprazole for 14 day treatment.. at the time i did not experience any side effects so after the 14 day treatment was over, about a week later i experienced acid rebound that sent me to the ER. The er dr said i needed to up the dose to 40 mg 2x/day... and this is when i became more ill.. i had severe diarrhea for 9 days, blurry vision, brain fog, muscle twitching, cramping, body jolts before going to sleep, . i couldnt digest my food.. lost 10 lbs.. but i did not know what was happening to me.. i was so sick i had to have a colonoscopy and egd.. i was told i had unspecified colitis.. i stupidly cont this drug bc thats what the drs told me to do.. and as im trying to heal my gut from whatever virus i had i started to develop new symptoms.. extreme brain fog, memory loss, fatigue, anxiety, muscle twitching, buzzing in certain parts of my body.. frequent urination in am. I feel as if i have nerve damage of some kind because of this ppi.. after 4 1/2 months of this posion i have since stopped this med and it has been 11 days but my twitching is still there.. i know this drug caused these other problems bc as i weaned from 40 mg to 20mg to then every other day i began experiencing body jolts and more nerve problems, numbness in certain parts, etc. has this happened to anyone else and did anyone make a full recovery?? I need some help please..Before I took this med I was a healthy 32 year old. Now 33 and still recovering. Does anyone know if this is permanent? 

1 like, 376 replies

376 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Unbelievable side effects from Omeprazole! I've started a new thread on this topic titled, "Prilosec caused extreme anxiety which led to major depression" in this forum.

I feel so sorry for everybody going through this. I am also relieved to see that I'm not the only one going through these side effects. I have a feeling I'm in for a long battle to get myself back to normal health, but I'm determined to get there. Please see my thread and any advice on how to get this evil drug out of my system as quickly as possible would be greatly appreciated! God bless you all and best of luck in recovery!

• Posted

hello i too had the same issues. extreme anxiety and extreme depression with brain fog and wanting to pass out after taking omeprazole for 4 months. i stopped in december it is now may and sometimes i still feel off..each day is better but i feel my body is still trying to fix itself. the first two months after stopping were a nightmare .i was very pale a d extreme fatigue aside from the depression anxiety and diharrea and nausea and weight loss. . i really hope i can get the acid back in my stomach to fix the digestion. apparently you need acid to digest b12 magnesium and calcium

• Posted

Kehyla, has your depression and anxiety subsided yet? If so, about how long did it take before you felt better? I've been off the med for 62 days now and have started to have some good days mixed in with some bad ones.

• Posted

oh yes it has subdsided alot...i would say by march i was feeling 80 percent normal..thats about 3 months after stopping it..give it around another month to feel a big difference...i feel at 90 percent now im hoping i will feel 100 percent in a couple of months.dont give up it does get better 😃

• Posted

Awesome! Thank you, I really needed to hear that!!! All the best in your recovery to 100%.. 😃

• Posted

i realy dont know how u ppl getting better in such short time.. it has been one and a half year and i am still battling extreme anxiety and depression from taking omeprazole for only 2 months 😭

• Posted

for me anxiety is feeling scared and panicky of absolutely nothing. just waking up with that feeling like if a lion had been chasing you and feeling spacey..very weird...but i have been working out..lemon water to increase stomach acid for nutrient absorption..yoga helped me alot as well...and absolutely no pills at all ..no pharma pills of any kind because it will delay process of gut healing... i think...im no doctor but it has worked for me.. good luck you will get better just research natural remedies..journal articles...etc..

• Posted

fear and restlessness are my major symptoms so much so i cant sit in a chair 😭 i am on a cocktail of psychiatric meds coz otherwise i dont know what will happen.. it has made me worse when i stopped them.. how did u sleep with anxiety?

• Posted

i didnt really sleep the first couple of months i just decided to deal with it and cure myself...i found anxiety starts in the gut ...there is a connection between your gut and the brain..80 percent of your serotonin or happy neurotransmitter is made in your gut..i can say im curing myself with food and exercise and the depression felt really bad. ..i started crying out of nowhere felt like i was drowning and so distanced from the real world. its those sneaky bugs in your gut lol omeprazole disrupts them...be patiend eat serotonin foods..go with a nutriologist if the neuro is not helping maybe...

• Posted

i didnt really sleep the first couple of months i just decided to deal with it and cure myself...i found anxiety starts in the gut ...there is a connection between your gut and the brain..80 percent of your serotonin or happy neurotransmitter is made in your gut..i can say im curing myself with food and exercise and the depression felt really bad. ..i started crying out of nowhere felt like i was drowning and so distanced from the real world. its those sneaky bugs in your gut lol omeprazole disrupts them...be patiend eat serotonin foods..go with a nutriologist if the neuro is not helping maybe...

• Posted

i totally agree about mind gut connection.. i have this weird feeling in my gut which forces me to cry a lot..

now after failure of many neds i am thinking electroshock therapy /"as my dep ND ANXIETY ARE NOT GETTING BETTER EVEN SLIGHTLY

• Posted

I am having the exact same problems you mentioned, May I know, how much weight you lost? I am really freaked out, as I lost around 6Kgs( around 14Lbs) in span of 3 months. Thanks

• Posted

I'm on lansoprazole from the other one you originally mention .

I've no clue what any of you are on about ( not in a insulting way )

I stumbled on here by accident and ended up reading a few posts after 5 posts I thought you guys are crazy lol

• Posted

i agree. There are some side effects but they relate to reduction in bone density so we don't notice it but it could be dangerous as we get older when the possibility of fractures and osteoparosis start to loom. My GP reduced my dose down to 15mgs daily when this research came out. I've been ok because my hiatus hernia is mild. People talk about the side effects when they try to stop taking the drug. Increased heartburn, oesophagitis etc but these aren't side effects, they're simply the symptoms returning that the drug was intended to manage. Many people refer to mental health problems. I've personally never had side effects and i've been on it for 10 years.

• Posted

I forget to the take them some days .

I was moved off this to lansoprazole 30mg by my psychiatrist doctor which is bizarre because he's mental health not a family doctor.

psychiatrist just said try these .

I'm on a lot of medications they will kill me eventually .

I'm one stuff that causes heart failure

fits sedation hallucinations so these tablets are at the bottom of my list of risks .

it's still crazy there's so many posts

maybe I'm just stupid lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.