Omeprazole hell

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I really need people's support badly as I'm in a living hell right now. I have been having upper back pain when I eat and Dr diagnosed peptic ulcer. I'd been on 40mg omep for a week when I started to feel ill. I woke up during the night feeling agitated and shaky, with nausea, and diarrhoea. Since Thursday I've lost 4 pounds, have no appetite, bad anxiety, feeling sick etc. I keep feeling like I'm on my way out. Im off sick from work, and only sleep for a few hours a night. I don't even feel like my back pain has improved. I've dropped down to 20mg and still feel horrendous but scared to come off it in case ulcer won't heal. Please help me, I'm so scared.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry your having these issues.I would suggest simple solutions to see if they help. Try juicing dark green vegetables first. Use mild vegetables at first, spinach, kelp, celery,parsley,carrots.

These won't trigger acid production but can provide needed nutrition. You can add some powdered organic soy protein for your protein. You can almost live on this if needed.

When I saw my GP doctor for my symptoms I wanted to rules out the obvious issues so I had a H Pylori blood test, there is also a non invasive breath test. However, breath and stool tests are better at detecting active H. pylori infections than is a blood test.

I also had the full spectrum blood test which turned up undiagnosed diabetes. But I likely also has some stomach ulcers, but I did not want the endoscopy. If you can handle it I would recommend an endoscopy.

Some things that helped my stomach heal was low acid olive oil, liquid vitamin E, a 5 source magnesium ( I chew it and swallow with water).

When you start feeling better don't go back to bad foods, because they cause symptoms to return.

PPi drugs can actually dissolve in the stomach and cause a chemical burn on the stomach lining. If you must take them I would recommend opening the capsule and swallowing the tiny time capsules with lots of warm water. I don't recommend PPi drugs because they can become addictive and difficult to get off of. They also prevent absorption of nutrients, causing more problems. Hang in there. John

• Posted

I have also used Marshmallow tea to help heal the stomach lining. It is a little hard to find, I buy the ground leaves which have some roots mixed in. It creates a coating on the stomach which can protect it.

• Posted

First of all omeprazole is time released, coated so that it's not released in your stomach with all the acid. If you open the capsule as the last person recommended you might as well not even take the drug. You had a very strong reaction to a drug prescribed by your doctor. You need to call your doctor immediately and tell them what is going on with you.

• Posted

Of your having side affects from this PPI why font you contact your doctor and get it changed to a different one there are lots of different ones I'm sure there will be one that suits you

• Posted

Look into Siberian pine nut oil its been proven to cure peptic ulcers and is utterly amazing for heartburn and reflux, its what i've been taken and i cant recommend it enough. There's a ton of information on the net about the healing powers of pine nut oil.

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm waiting from a call from a Dr and also have an appointment for tomorrow. I took one yesterday and then only had 2 hours sleep last night and 8 hours of nausea 😦. No way I'm taking another pill. My ulcer is sore but I can't put more of that poison in my system. I'll hopefully be able to use an alternative. I'll look into all the diet suggestions. Thanks.

• Posted

Glad you're going to see your doc. To be honest if you can avoid taking a proton pump inhibitor at all do it . They're very hard to stop once you've taken them for any length of time better not to start them at all if it's at all possible. Good luck! Feel better!

Also, if you can, get the endoscopy done. Its easy, you don't even know what's going on. Better to look and know for sure what's going on.

• Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed with a grade 1 Duodenal ulcer, last month, and put on the same tablets, Omoprazole. I've taken myself off them - I can't stand them either.

I went to Holland & Barrett and bought Manuka honey, 15+ NPA, Aloe Vera juice and a fresh smoothie from Tesco that I'd have to go and look at to give you the name. it contains raspberries and cranberry, amongst the ingredients and has 'red' in it's name. 'Not from concentrate'.

Also, I drink the water vegetables are cooked in, like kale or cabbabe. Only eating simple food, like chicken, salmon, fresh veg, fresh soup and no fizzy drinks, caffeine or alcohol.

I hope it works, because I'm NOT ever taking anything that ends in 'prazole'.

Maybe get some advice yourself from an alternative health place, like Holland & Barrett or an independent apothercary, if you have one near by.

Nic.

• Posted

Thank you lovely people for your supportive messages, it is much appreciated. 26 hours from my last omep I am feeling so much better. Nausea gone and anxiety decreased massively. I think I will refuse an alternative ppi tomorrow and go for something much kinder. Anyone tried Zantac? I'm going to go for lifestyle changes. I'm a healthy person but I know I eat too fast and sometimes keep eating when I'm full. Not a big drinker but will abstain completely now. No more caffeine either. I think I'm going to be traumatised by that experience for a long time. Scary what prescription drugs can do!

• Posted

The drug companies still advertise some PPi drugs but there are new lawsuits implying liver or other organ damage. People are tricked by this advertising into thinking they can take a pill and then eat garbage food and they will be fine. But, digestive acid is there for a reason. It kills pathogens and microbes from entering the body. Once that acid production is blocked, then a person has opened the door to much trouble.

Sometimes I still get jolts of burning in my stomach. But, I believe that some of these are from damaged nerves that send this signal. Once the stomach gets damaged it can take years of high nutrition and reduction of stress to recover. The body wants to heal, but the stomach is a difficult climate to heal.

Use the nutritional suggestions and I am confident that you will be successful. John

• Posted

Hi, sorry to moan again but I'm now struggling with withdrawal. I was feeling better after stopping them but have again only managed to sleep for 2 hours. I feel nauseous when I'm lying down and legs are shaky. Drs appointment today so will ask for anti nausea tablets. My symptoms are so much worse than before I took the drugs. This is the fifth night in a row that I've only had 2 or 3 hours of sleep 😦. Just as well I'm off work. I really regret taking omep. Laura

• Posted

Hi Laura,

The super healing, healthy smoothie, is called 'NAKED', as it contains no crap. It's super tasty, too.

All the natural green juices are good too. Celery makes a great ulcer friendly snack, cucumber too.

Hope you feel better really soon.

Nic.

• Posted

I do like salad! I'll need to look into veggie juices. Turns out I have a hiatus hernia, rather than an ulcer, and now on Zantac so hopefully it suits me better. What a strange couple of weeks I've had!

• Posted

Hi, update from me. Dr now going back to original diagnosis of ulcer. I'm on Lansoprazle now and feeling much better. I think the omeprazole is out of my system now so I feel much less anxious. Evil drug!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.