Omeprazole help, how to stop taking it.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I'm a 31 year old man and have been taking omeprazol, lanzoprazole etc for about 5 years.

I was originally prescribed them for foods causing me heart burn.

The doc gave me them with amoxaciline (sorry my spelling isn't great) for a stomach bug! Initially for 2 weeks a high dose of 60mg. After they did nothing nothing in hindsight I came to the end of the two weeks and got major acid problems. Do they prescribed more and more and more till I pushed for a answer to why I was still suffering.

I think got the camera down the first time and all they could detect was some irritation. Again explained in hindsight as they tell you to stop taking the omeprazole for a week before (cold turkey) so the redness in my eyes was due to a acid imbalance.

Again told to keep taking them, second camera 3 years in.. this time nothing as told by the camera opporator then the consultant told me I now have a slight hiatus hernia! So kept taking them.

Then I started with my eyes feeling funny and headaches. And most recently problems with my hips and now my back. (Muscles and joints) and becoming more and more depressed and moody.

So i started researching them and was shocked to see so many people with similar problems.

I have by my own doing now got onto 10mg a day any have no real issue stomach wise apart from continuously getting more problems with my body.

It's messing my life up and I have to get off them.

Can anybody advise me how to do so? As im aware cold turkey won't work. I'm contemplating taking apart my tablets measuring them on micro scales and reducing to 8mg then 6mg 4mg etc over a few months (10mg is the lowest available.) Also supplementing with what ever people know works.

Is there anybody out there who has gone through this month's ago and now coping and can help me?

Please! I'm at my whits end!

Chris

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I quit cold turkey after about three years of being on this poison. If you can name a side effect, I probably had it. It wasnt until finding sites like this that realized what was making me feel horrible.Omeprazole and Lansoprazole.Garbage both of them. I still feel bad but not as much.Try DGL licorice for our heart burn and reflux it has helped me so hopefully it will you too. Good luck,feel better and get off this poison.
  • Posted

Hi Chris, not surprised to read about your problems, they just about mirror every person on these medications.

I am 69 year old male , I regular take exercise in the way of gym , cycling and walking, without these activities I would have been in a very low mental state. I strongly recommend exercising to offset some of the symptoms caused by the medications, I started off on 20mg per day soon upping it to 40mg and even 60 mg , I have a hiatus hernia and Barrett's Osphogues, after 4 years I have now reduced the dose to 20mg ( my decision)which is 1 tablet a day in the evening, already I am finding my moods are improving , the flutters in my chest disappearing and pains in the ribs and back dissipating along with my eyes not being so tired and red.

I know I will always have to take some medication for my diagnosis but I think it is the level that is important and hopefully this will continue to work for me going forward , I truly sympathise with you and hope that you can find a level that suits you and your body

Good luck Phil

• Posted

Correct, you are doing the best thing, plenty of exercise which decreases the amount of side effects for sure and improves your mental state. I'm also on it for life age 25

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.