omeprazole made me feel like a zombie!

Posted , 10 users are following.

I started taking this drug about 10 days ago as I had never heard of it, and went to the doctor with bad indigestion. I don't  like taking medications but I was in pain and thought what harm could it do. Anyway I started getting really strange feelings like I was in a bit of a dream, and getting really anxious when I went out walking on my own. I started panicking about getting home,and getting dizzy. Then I had a weird dizzy spell while parking my car. I went to my doctor who said my blood pressure was high and my heartbeat very fast and booked me in for an ECG and blood tests to check thyroid,liver function etcetera. I then became worse, I couldn't watch TV as it was making me feel dizzy, couldn't go to the gym as that made me dizzy. Sounds were too loud as I had a crushing feeling of pressure in my head,especially at the back. I couldn't hardly make a cup of tea,all I could do was lie quietly on the sofa without moving! Anyway I stopped taking the omeprazole on Thursday, four days ago. I only took 8 in total. Then on Sunday my sister suggested we go for a walk and I reluctantly agreed,by the times d come back from the walk my husband couldn't believe the change,I was almost back to normal without the dizziness and anxiety and headache. Today I'm just a bit light headed, but not like I was before.  I suggested to my doctor when I went in with the dizziness it was the omeprazole and she said that they had no side effects!!! It was like a bad trip, the whole experience.i did the blood tests and will see how they turn out, but I am convinced it is the medication as the symptoms started and finished alongside my taking this drug.they worked great for my stomach,but I was like a zombie. Hopefully the drugs will work their way out of my system completely quite soon. 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

I've been taking omeprazole for 6 days and today is the last. I feel bloated (I think i've also put on a few pounds), have headaches and feel drained during the day. The comparison with a bad trip is apt. For the first time this evening I felt like I wasn't fully in control of myself so the pills are in the bin. The stomach pains I was having weren't as bad as this. Had I known about the discussions about this drug on this forum I wouldn't have touched them.

Gareth.

• Edited

I trust the Dr's to do their job of diagnosing me with ailments they see in test results but if I'm prescribed something long term & it begins to affect me then I'm going to look for an alternative. Only I know how I feel, they don't know, they're not me.

I took this drug for an H Pylori infection in May of last year. Took the whole round of antibiotics but I still had indegestion a week later. Went for a check up with the GI doc & he told me to keep taking it for the indigestion in which I did but I didn't take it daily as he suggested. So this year found out the H Pylori was back (never cleared up the first time) took more antibiotics & this time I decided to take the meds daily as previously suggested after I finished the antibiotics. What a MISTAKE that was. Indegestion is gone but I began to feel so fatigued & dizzy. I didn't think it was the Omeperazole so I kept taking but after researching the side effects I'm realizing it's the Omeperazole that's making me feel so crazy. Stopped taking them last night & this morning I was not fatigued. Thank goodness! Still dizzy but hopeful that will resolve the longer I'm off these meds.

Best of luck everyone & good health to us all!

• Posted

Seriously!! Omeprazole has messed up everything. I have had such panic attacks, shortness of breath and dizziness. I stopped sleeping in my own room because I feel claustrophobic. I have never experienced anything like this before and even now I feel like my head is dizzy and pressure behind my ears. How long will it take for these side effects to go away? Doctors don't know s**t when you ask them. They keep insisting that omeprazole has no side effects.

• Posted

hi! I know this is an old post but I just came across this as I took omeprazole for about 4 days about 3 weeks ago and I have been feeling exactly the same. I started taking b12 supplements and probiotics and magnesium and this has made me feel a bit better but my head feels so dizzy at times and I palpitate and feel the head pressure. If I am outdoors I feel better. I had bad shortness of breath and chest pains during the days I took this medicine. Doctors scare you even worse telling you to go for endoscopy and stuff which I declined. I have never had any issues prior to this. I wish I hadnt taken omeprazole for my heartburn and acidity. How long did it take for you to get back to normalcy?

• Posted

hi, just tagging along as im currently experiencing this ive just started on the b12 and looking into magnesium. how long did it take you to clear the foginess and dizziness feeling?

thanks, i hope you are well.

• Posted

just saw this discussion . I took this med for 7 days.

I'm still struggling 10 days later. Taking vitamins and hydrating .Looking for some hope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.