Omeprazole side effects and rebound

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I was given omeprazole as part of a treatment for helicobacter about a year ago, but my gp recommended I stay on the tablets at 20mg per day for the foreseeable future. She believed I had gastritis but I have not had an endoscopy or formal diagnosis. Anyway, despite the omeprazole, I have been having daily nausea and regular chest, stomach and bowel pains as well as something like ibs.

I decided to do an experiment became I find it very odd that the ibs became an issue when I started omeprazole, so I reduced my dose to 10mg for a couple of weeks and the nausea pretty much disappeared and my stomach and bowels are much better. Sadly this has come as a cost though because I have been getting sore throats a lot of the time from acid I guess. I never really had this issue before I started taking these tablets so I belive it id a rebound effect rather than a genuine problem resurfacing. I will talk to my Dr soon because I don't want to be damaging my oesophagus but am worried she will just tell me to take 20mg forever because that's easiest for her. I have tried ranatidine but it made me feel absolutely dreadful so I vowed never to take it again. Has anyone else had these kind of issues with omeprazole? The more I read about it, the more I see how overprescribed it is, and how difficult people find it coming off them. Considering I took it on the first place to help with gastritis caused nausea, I'm jot happy to keep taking something that causes me such an unpleasant queasiness. I took a 20mf tablet last night because the sore throat thing was getting bad and sure enough, this morning I feel nauseous. Ugh. I wish I'd tried harder to stop these after my 8 weeks were up.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My dr had me on Omeprazole 20 mg   for along time I recently found out just how bad it is for my health If you can wean yourself off of it do it as soon as possible.  I started taking a ginger capsule  with 8 oz of warm  lemon  water  with alittle honey  so far I have not had any problems with my stomach.  The pill caused my  stomach to swell this past year, I am hoping once it all gets out of my system the swelling will go down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.