Omeprazole User with Questions

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello to all you users.  I was a U.S. Marine and an Army helicopter pilot.  I had seen and experienced a whole lot in that time, some of which would validate treatment for PTSD.  I attended many tough military schools to include Airborne, Air Assault, S.E.R.E., and was even an instructor.  I eventually left the military to pursue civilian endeavors.  I was always physically fit and worked hard.  I eventually began to experience reflux.  After eating I would get that acid burn in my throat.  I was prescribed Nexium.  I began to have headaches and it also began to become less effective.  A doctor then prescribed omeprazole.  It stopped the reflux and I was happy.  I then began to have numerous symptoms.  All of which have been listed by all the other omeprazole users.  I have always been able to handle stress, even the stress of a fire on the engine deck of an AH-1 Cobra helicoper I was flying in Korea, in the mountains, at night, using night vision goggles.  At no time during that event did I feel the panicky feelings that I have been experiencing for years while taking this med.  Yes, I was nervous, and had a heightened state of alertness, but I was more concerned with findng a safe landing area to try and save the helicopter and my copilot.  Not necessarily in that order.  I have had most all the problems that everyone has listed above.  I was even given clonazepam to treat anxiety which has another whole list problems.  My family has suffered, I have suffered, and now my son is away at college and I have missed so many opportunities to do what we used to do together before all these ailments began to transorm me into such a person I never was.  Folks believed it was all in my mind, a "Hypochondriac"!  Doctor after doctor said all was fine, and I said, I knew, it wasn't.  My wife just found this website, and WHOLLY COW!!  There it was!!  All of what I have been suffering with all these years.  I now have some hope.  I actually am scheduled for an MRI of the neck area (Cervical) to help try and figure out the source of the headaches, neckaches and the like.  I too will stop taking this drug starting tomorrow.  You know, because I was still experiencing some chest pains, I was told to double up on my dosage!  Really?  I was actually having worse symptoms after taking the second dose at night.  The lightheadedness has been the worst, and the lethargic chronic laziness a death sentence.  I am now hopeful that after stopping the drug, I may regain my life.  Can you folks out there tell me how long it takes for the most serious side effects to go away?  Additionally, what are the more natural ways to deal with the reflux in lieu of this or any drug?  I know to watch what I eat, but that may mean only eating bread and water.  That's depressing as well.  I know it's not that bad, but I am looking for your help.  Thanks, and good luck to all of us!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

This medicine made my anxiety far worse. The medicine should clear out of your system 24-48 hours after you stop taking it according to Dr and pharmacist. You can help it by drinking lots of water. The side effects were still there even a week after I stopped taking these pills. I did notice a big difference after 10 days.

It's interesting that you are also having neck aches, headaches and vertigo. I have the same symptoms but I hate going to the drs. It's too stressful for me.  It's getting better now, however.

Oh and something that really helped my acid reflux was kombucha tea (refrigerated section of grocery or health store)  it has so many nutrients that are amazing for your health.  It's very tangy but the flavor is nice if you give it a chance. I highly recommend it.  Try it for 2 weeks 8 oz per day. I also cut out carbonated water. Plain water bored me so I took up drinking sparkling water. Carbonation actually loosens the opening of your stomach. Just cutting out carbonated water helped me so very much. I stick plain water with lemon now smile

hot ginger tea after dinner relaxes the stomach and aides in digestion as well. I stir 2 teaspoons of organic ginger paste, some honey,and  fresh lemon into hot water. These are just a few natural ways of reducing the stomach acid problem that I love. Good luck with your health. If I think of anything I'll post it here!

• Posted

Thanks!  I do drink tea.  I have started to drink hot green tea with honey, cinnamon, and some apple cider vinegar.   I will go and buy what you have recommended and try it.  I hope this all goes away, as I would love to get back in the cockpit.  I virtually grounded myself when I began to experience the lightheadedness.  If it turns out that this was the cause all along I will be both joyous and angry.  Joyous as I may have my life back, but angry in that I lost 10-15 years!   Thanks for your response!
  • Posted

Hello. Sorry you have problems and understand. I had acid reflux and was put on cimitridine and after about six months had to stop taking it as it made my ears hurt, the sides of my face hurt a lot and my forehead. I also got a terrible cough which was far worse than the original acid reflux cough. Felt very heavy, worn out, tired easy and lots of aches and pains. It was like aging to three times my original age overnight. Everything I did was a big chore. I also got bad pains lower back and like rheumatism all over and gout in my large toe. S Felt so bad I was crying. When I told the doctor he got ratty with me as though it was my fault and changed it to omeprazole. Yet my research shows that this can give the same symptoms. So for five weeks I took BICARBONATE OF SODA instead and it was a miracle. The aches and pains all disappeared and my energy came back. It held the cough at bay until five weeks later the cough came back with a vengeance. Have only taken one of these omeproazoles and already have face pains and bad headache and feel terrible and unable to doi anything. Do not want to take another. There is no point in suggesting telling the doctor to change you to another, they arej all thbe same with different names, same side effects and so on. And I am sick and tired of being told by the doctor that oh no, that tablet does not cause THAT side effect when I know f**** well it does. And I have chatted to other people online who had same thing.

• Posted

Thanks!  You mentioned bicarbonate of soda.  I have heard that on e before.   A chiropractor actually recommended that.  How much do you take daily, how do you take it and when?  Thanks.
    • Posted

For what it is worth I found that if I had just a pinch of bicarb mixed in wsater two or three times a day it seemed to work very well. I would have just a slight cough I could cope with and I avoided those horrid side effects from the medicines. But yesterday I tried taking three times a half spoon of bicarb instead thinking it might help to increase the doses. And boy do I regret it. LOL. When I went to bed I started coughing and coughing

wheezing, finding it hard to breath, this went on and on and I had to get up. Then I made the mistake of thinking that the cough had got worse and I needed more, but it was the bicarb that had caused it, it seems. Then I researched side effects of bicarb and found that some people can get that ! So with me a pinch is fine but a bigger amount is bad. In a way it is diong the same as the medicines do - more side effects than help. Presumably it may be different for you. I always get bad side effects from natural or scientific medication and it sucks. A lot of people dont have this problem.

• Posted

LOL Bread is an acid food so dont eat bread and water.
    • Posted

I can't lol, I'm col, crying out loud!!!  Crying out: "Why did it take so long for me to find this out!!  Dang it!!  Years gone, and no retribution!!     Not really, but now the challenge begins to figure out what I can eat and can't.  Some folks have said apples help, but I have found that apples can cause that acid to rise up to the lower throat area (reflux).  Thanks.
    • Posted

I never really had any coughing issues.  So I guess I'll do some research on the bicarbonate and take it from there.  Today is the first day I have t taken the omeprazole.  I hope this is the road to my recovery!!!  Thanks again!
  • Posted

If you have too much acid in your stomache, the valve at the top of the stomache cannot open.   If it did the acid would burn your gullet.   The valve only opens when there is insufficient acid.    I know....  It sounds mad.    But please look up   Hypochlorhydria. On the net, specially the signs and symptoms......         Ten get some betaine hcl and give it a try....   If it doesn't work you can neutralise it by taking a glass of milk.
  • Posted

Hi there. Just read your post. I too have been suffering side effects for the past 6 months after starting omeprazole. It started with the mild dizziness/lightheaded feeling that got progressively worse. It would come and go in intensity, but would never truly stop. My anxiety levels would elevate and I would feel depressed. I had heart palpitations, headaches, tingly arms and feet, ringing in my ears, blurred vision, etc....

I have had multiple MRIs, wore a heart monitor, had EKG, and I'm in therapy to help deal with the anxiety. It has been a wild ride. My family life has been affected.

After coming across many of these forums with others who have suffered the same symptoms, I decided to stop taking omeprazole. I stopped taking omeprazole two days ago and I'm hoping that these have all been side effects of this drug.

I was hoping that you might give an update on your progress since stopping the omeprazole, and how long it took for your side effects to subside (assuming your symptoms were from the omeprazole).

Thanks, and I hope you're feeling better.

• Posted

First and far most important thank you for you Service and you huge sacrifices you made for your Country . There are not enough words to tell you how Grateful we are for your Service . my name is Troy I have 1 Son in his second year married exspecting their first child in April . Than my youngest son leaves for the Marines Man. 3rd 2017 . bless you . Now in regards to to your stoping Prilocec you should never stop taking any medication without consulting with your primary care Doctor the one whom prescribed your meds. I to had the some of the same symptoms as you . The best advice I can give you is to consult with a dietition. Ther are several foods that can exasperate your ad is reflux ect . Tomatoes , Kethup ect their is a special diet of food that you can be on that will alleviate your symptoms. The best of luck to you and many blessings to you in your life . Thank you again Troy
  • Posted

First and far most important thank you for you Service and you huge sacrifices you made for your Country . There are not enough words to tell you how Grateful we are for your Service . my name is Troy I have 1 Son in his second year married exspecting their first child in April . Than my youngest son leaves for the Marines Man. 3rd 2017 . bless you . Now in regards to to your stoping Prilocec you should never stop taking any medication without consulting with your primary care Doctor the one whom prescribed your meds. I to had the some of the same symptoms as you . The best advice I can give you is to consult with a dietition. Ther are several foods that can exasperate your ad is reflux ect . Tomatoes , Kethup ect their is a special diet of food that you can be on that will alleviate your symptoms. The best of luck to you and many blessings to you in your life . Thank you again Troy
  • Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.