Omeprazole - vitamin deficiency???

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking Omeprazole since the end of March this year (so not long) and in August I had a blood test which showed I had lower than recommended folate levels. It also showed my B12 as a low normal reading. The past 3 weeks I have been getting a tingling sensation in my left hand and during the night I have been waking up because of pins and needles. Can this be related to B12 levels? I am due to see a doctor on Wednesday so should I bother to mention it to them then or is it unrelated?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Mention everything. The more general, 'holistic' information a Doctor can get the - better they can potentially treat you. This is not true of old school Drs, the Dr.'s age is not an indication of the age of the school btw.

• Posted

Thank you. I had to switch doctors as I started working as a receptionist for my old surgery so this will be the first time I have been to them so I’m not sure what to expect 
  • Posted

Definitely Wendy, see if you can swap for Ranitidine. Don’t wait until you have a B12 deficiency that requires you to get injection for the rest of your life, I keep telling people how nasty PPI’s are, some agree and some are intent in saying they are fine, they most definitely are not fine, that’s for sure. I have issues with my kidneys since being on them, issues with my gall bladder, had a drop in calcium levels, then a drop in phosphate levels, I also have an issue with my red blood blood cells, I’m not anemic, but was heading there if I didn’t get off the PPI’s. 
    • Posted

Omeprazole has given me back a life in the sense that I am no longer in extreme pain in the mornings and I am no longer feeling nauseous every day. However nothing was suggested as to what was causing the issues, I was just given Omeprazole to control my excess stomach acid (it was coming into my mouth and I was throwing up stomach acid)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.