Omeprazole with Citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

Only two days on Omeprazole 10mg and anxiety escalated with lightheadedness. I also take Citalopram 10mg and I read today that there is a severe interaction between them. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Not going to take any more Omeprazole, hope I haven't done any damage.

Thanks

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My doctor prescribed me Omaprazole 10 years ago without checking whether I had low or high stomach acid.  I had H. pylori infection and after taking antibiotics I was told I didnt have to do anything else.  I have now developed osteoporosis because of the long term use of Omaprazole and an endoscopy has just revealed that I have intestinal metaplasia.  This happened 3 weeks ago.  My consultant has rescheduled another endoscopy for tomorrow because he wants to take biopsies from all over my stomach.  If I have the metaplasia there also then I will have to be on watch and wait programme.  My consultant advised doubling the dose of Omaprazole. At this point I did a lot of research and found out that the symptoms of low and high acid are similar.  Although I complained  to various doctors that I thought my food was not being digested properly, no one bothered to do any tests.  So, I stopped taking Omaprazole completely 3 weeks ago.  I had the most terrible pain because apparently your stomach produces more acid when you do this, but I resisted.  I didn't eat much and when I did it was only vegetable  soup and bananas.  After 3-4 days it settled down.  I am now almost free of pain.  I am taking antioxidants and probiotics together with digestive enzymes.  Another thing that has helped me a lot is drinking cabbage juice with green apple and ginger.  I just eat bland food, no alcohol, no sauces or fried food or sugar. I have also propped up my bed by 8 inches..I now sleep like a baby   It is hard but I think it is worth coming off this terrible drug. 

• Posted

Hi Angela,

Thank you for your reply. I have read many negatives about omeprazole one of them being long term use causing osteoporosis. So sorry that this is apparent with you. I have osteoarthritis through wear and tear so I cannot afford to get osteoporosis too. I believe the latter is more difficult to manage.

So sorry that you have intestinal metaplasia, I assume brought on by H.pylori infection? I have read that this condition can possibly regress subject to correct diet and medication. From what you have said you appear to be managing this correctly on your own as you are starting to feel better. I do hope that you will improve with continued therapy.

For myself, I have taken a few tips from you regarding diet, it can only be a good thing. I am not going to take omeprazole again as they were given to me as a precautionary measure because I take over the counter painkillers. I shall monitor my painkillers carefully.

I do wish you well and hope your further tests show the results you hope for.

Take care

L x

• Posted

My son was prescribed 40mg of Omeprazole and he also takes the max in Citalopram for his size. He complained of dizziness, chest pains, nausea, and being tired but not being able to fall asleep as well.  He has a motor tic disorder and his ticking increased. He was looking clammy and seem to be sweating more.  His mood also changed; he was more agitated, seemed more depressed and his anxiety definitely increased.  We stopped the Omeprozol immediately after reading that it isn't advised to take Omeprozole when you take more than 20mg of Citalopram a day, or if you have any of the symptoms described above.  We changed the diet to a more gerd and erosive esophogitis friendly diet; avoiding specific foods (especially those under a pH of 5) and it has helped tremendously.  Speak to your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.