Omeprazole withdrawal can it cause hip pain?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Trying to wean myself off omeprazole and ive hit a road block. I have hip pain and throwing up

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

perhaps you can talk to your doctor.  there is a way to slowly reduce the milligrams .  it's called titrating your dose.  i have done this with other meds and it is less violent to the system.  i wish you the very best.

• Posted

So, do you think the Omep. is causing hip pain and throwing up and that is why you are trying to come off it?  Your post is a little vague.
    • Posted

Yes, I am tapering off Omeprazole. I have been on 40mgs for 10 years. When I started to hear all the bad press about PPIs i decided to taper off.

Hit a block wall when I reduced it to 10mgs. I started getting real bad hip pain with throwing up. Has this happened to anyone?

• Posted

ok, now I understand.  I can't see that tapering could cause hip pain, but I don't know for sure.  I would say that being sick could be related because I am going through the same thing as I am tapering very slowly.  I keep a bottle of tums or even take a Zantac to get me through.  Zantac, supposedly doesn't have the warnings that Prilosec has.  I would say the hip pain could be caused by something you are doing physically.

• Posted

What size steps down were you taking? 10mg. The capsules can be opened. I am trying to adjust to 20mg. If I can get level on this dose I will slow down and just take a few granules out of the capsules each week. I have read that the last 20mg can take months to taper off.
    • Posted

I think that's right.  From what I've heard anywhere between 4 to 8 months.  Right now, I'm on half tab one day and half and fourth the next.  I do that for 2 weeks and then I do a half for 2 weeks.  That seems to be working for me with minimal discomfort.  I really don't care too much for having to cut a half tab in half tho.  It's tricky.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.