Omprezalole

Posted , 5 users are following.

Off Omprezalole slow wean but now totally off 4 weeks and dealing with lower abdominal cramps and gas! Pains wake me up. Any suggestions or relief in sight?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

How long it took you to wean off omeprazole? how long you took them? i am trying too . 2 years now on pantoprazole . tried many time but failed evertime. I just don't think i can get off this horrible med.

• Posted

I did slow wean over 4 weeks. Pain always returns. I hate this medication.
  • Posted

I finally realized, after trying so many times, that if I wanted to feel human, I have to be on this, but, I do take one of the lowest doses there is, 10 mg a day.  I tried going off again for a few months, and during that time, had to take rantinidine at least twice a day, and even then, food felt like it was sticking in my gullet, and I was miserable.  So, sorry I can't offer you a magic bullet.  I tried slippery elm, vinegar, you name it, I have tried it.  I don't eat spicy food, don't drink soda, and it's best for me if I don't eat before bed too.  

• Posted

I have been searching to see if anyone else is having this pain.  Very bad lower abdominal pain.  Almost like severe menstrual cramps (but I'm too old for that).  I took  20mg of prilosec nearly daily, many times twice a day for the past 20 years, believing that it was safe as my doctor assured me.  I just recently heard of the possible health risks involved and quit cold turkey about 2 weeks ago.

I have been taking pepcid ac as needed (but not more than 2  10mg a day), good ol baking soda and water, and throat coat tea.  These things have made the acid bearable, and I am already needing less of the pepcid ac. But what the heck is going on with this horrible lower abdominal pain?  Sometimes gone for a few hours, but always comes back.  Keeps me awake too.  It is not constipation.

You are the first person I have read about who is also experiencing this.  I haven't found any relief from it.  I have tried everything from drinking lots of extra water, to soaking in a hot tub.  No relief.  

I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't.  Honestly I am kind of relieved that I am not the only one.  

How are you doing at this point?

• Posted

I did slow wean over a month and took a probiotic daily for a week. Also decreased dairy. Still some cramping comes and goes but decreasing. I take H2 blocker like zantac but will never take Omprezalole unless prescribed for GI bleeding. For general gas or heartburn, No, not for me. Thank you for responding. We are not alone.
    • Posted

Hi Linda -

Just an update on my stuff, and checking to see if you are feeling any better.

I haven't had the abdominal pain for about 4 days now, although still having some rebound acid. 

I have been eating small meals every 3 or 4 hours, consisting primarily of veggies (including lots of those pre-packaged salad mixes), fruits, nuts (mostly almonds), and whole food carbs.  Also taking a multi-vitamin, extra B-12, and Magnesium (ppi's have robbed us of the ability to absorb these nutrients).

When the acid hits my throat and/or stomach, I find that a few almonds or a few ounces of almond milk to be very soothing.  I am still taking a pepcid (H2 blocker) about every other day, and still using alkaline water (aka baking soda) occasionally , along with the throat coat tea.

So these are some things that are helping me to get through this.  I hope you have found some things to comfort your system as well.  If so, please share!

We will get through this!!

• Posted

Hi Linda, I definitely feel your pain! Been there. Feel free to message me for some suggestions smile 
  • Posted

Hi Linda, I definitely feel your pain! Been there. Feel free to message me for some suggestions smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.