Pain along and under rib-cage after flu

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hi folks. 

I'd be interested to know if anyone has had something like this before. I had a pretty nasty case of flu about 2 weeks ago with high temperatures and all the usual symptoms. After that was about a week of uncontrollable dry-coughing. I could barely sleep as each breath caused me to cough.

I went to the doctorin the end and he gave me some prescription cough medicine, and some tablets with a bit of codeine in them to relax my throat. He said my lungs were fine, no problems with inflation etc, but my throat was very dry. Sure enough, the cough died down after a couple of days. It's got a little worse now, but nowhere near as bad as it was.

However, I am now left with a very sore rib-cage, mostly on my left side. It's worst about 6 inches below my left armpit (if I push there), and just under the bottom of my ribcage, slightly to the side, on the left if I poke it. It's not unbearable, and if I'm sitting still you can't really notice it. When I cough it hurts a little bit, but not crippling pain. There's a slight ache on the right-side too, but the left is way worse.

I am assuming that this is probably just some muscular damage from the excessive cough I've had over the past weeks. I've been taking some ibuprofen to help with any inflammation, so I hope it will go away on it's own in the end. I'm feeling a bit worse today though, cough seems to have come back a bit, and I feel generally tired and lethargic. I am due to fly home for Xmas on Monday, so I just want to make sure that this isn't something that mught jeapordise that.

Thanks for any advice!

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I’m so glad to read this. Same scenario. Had the worst flu ever. Coughing for 6 weeks. Excruciating pain on right side. Went to my doctor twice and ER once. All tests and x-rays clear, ultrasound clear. Thank God it wasn’t my gallbladder. But, this explosive pain is debilitating. I don’t know what to do. Taking Tyl #3 and steroids but doctor said that there is no clear reason why I’m hurting and it’s probably muscular. Does anyone know how I can get some relief? This pain is getting in the way of my life. Ugh!
  • Posted

I started the flu Valentine’s Day. It am still not well. It’s wreaked havoc on my immune system and my holistic doctor said my body is using all my energy to function. I too have the left side pain under my rib age and it’s an enlarged spleen due to the infection. No doctor could tell me this but it shows up on my holistic doctors scan. This has been horrible and moments I feel likes it going to take me out. I feel great but as soon as I do something as simple as housework it puts me back down. 
  • Posted

I am 86 years old and have had the flu with a very bad cough for over a week. I now have a lot of pain in my ribs on the left side in the back every time I cough. I use a wide belt around my body covering the area of the pain. I make it real tight before I would cough. This helped to reduce the pain by 50% by holding the ribs tight.
    • Posted

Hi everyone, I thought I would update all my fellow sufferers as it looks like I could have an explanation for this pain. I saw a consultant at the hospital yesterday as I had a tumour in the past so they needed to make sure it’s not connected.  I have been diagnosed with tietze syndrome which can be triggered by a virus which we have all had. The pain I have had for the past 3 months is in one rib which runs from under the breast bone all the way along the rib to the left side of my body and becomes very painful when exercising or when getting out of bed or moving from a seated position. The internet has a lot of information and advice regarding it. The diagnose has given me peace of mind and I hope it can give you some too. 
  • Posted

I had same issues of  pain on my sides after coughing a month. I  continue doing simple stretching, and use the Gua Sha method from under my arms to the ribs and around the lower edge of my ribs, and it does help. See video example:

The important thing is you scrap towards one single direction, and not back-and-forth on the skin. Also, not too hard or you can hurt yourself. You can scrap outside a thin T-shirt, no need to scrap on bare skin.  I normally do Gua Sha whereever I have pain in my body, e.g. the neck, the back, legs etc. 

I also go to trusted Chinese herbal medicine doctors to help clear out my flu and regain my chi (air/ breathe). Hope this helps.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Like others here, I had a bad case of the flu in early January and was coughing my brains out.  I felt pain in my lower ribs on both sides of my back.  I developed breathing difficulty on the third day of the flu, which persists to this day.  I have been to a multitude of doctors and they think it's all anxiety.  Been to my chiropractor, he has manipulated some of my ribs, but does not affect my breathing in a positive manner.  I now have breathing complications.  I pray to God every day as I feel like I'm going to die.  I also have bad insomnia now.  It's been 5 months of this hell.  My back still hurts, particularly after I do some walking/exercise.  Developed GERD/gastritis.  I'm a complete mess.  On disability from work.  Don't know if this is ever going to resolve.  I feel like my life is over.  If you have any information, please help me.

• Posted

Yes, stress and anxiety impacts breathing. Singing will help relieve it physically. Just sing the simpliest songs you like. Google “singing relieves breathing” and you can find more info. 

When I couldn’t sleep, I keep “singing” a song in my head to stop my brain from being over active. I used to sing “I have decided to follow Jesus” in my head. Chamomile tea and lavender oil drops beside your bed also helps.

Finally, I would look for a trusted Chinese herbal medicine doctor and acupuncture doctor. These doctors have helped me through my toughest health issues.

Get well soon! God bless!

• Posted

Dear john94307,

Oh! That sounds terrible. I’m so sorry. I ended up having displaced fractured ribs. 3 of them. It was awful. I’m still very tender on my right side but I’m so so much better. I wish I could give you some healing advice. 

• Posted

Final conclusion...................due to a previous tumour they continued to investigate my pain for 3 months in total.  I had a brain scan, chest x-ray and many blood tests with the initial (incorrect) conclusion that I had Tietze Syndrome (inflammation of the rib cartilage).  Fortunately I rejected the steroid injections as after a full body CT scan with contrast dye and further blood tests, I was finally diagnosed with Glandular Fever and a broken rib!  Got there in the end!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.