Pain Clinics

Posted , 3 users are following.

Good afternoon, just like some advice me. I have been offered a referral to NHS Bath, England, Pain Clinic. However it's a geographical nightmare to get to from my home address. What can Bath offer than say, a hospital in London that can't. Frustrated with the referral location. If it's a centre of excellence maybe but at the moment can't see anything on the website that makes it stand out. Thank you.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

where do you live. are you being offered it because its the one with the first available appointment.  If you can find a nearer one then ask your GP to change it.  There is one at st thomas's amajor teaching hospital.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. My referral is from the Doctor at my local hospital own Pain Clinic in the Channel Islands. This appointment would require a flight to Bristol then train to Bath. Appointment then overnight stay and the return journey. Challenging and very tireing.
    • Posted

thats sounds odd, if you go to pain clinic it wont be a one off appointment - that also applies to london, ae there no c;inics where you live
    • Posted

I know. It sounds crazy. I'm already been referred to the local pain clinic by my Consultant. They in turn have said they can't do anything but will refer me to Bath. Guess who is expected to pickup most of the bill even though I'm a public patient not private?! Besides the travel I don't understand what one clinic can offer over and above another one when they are not listed as a centre of excellence. So I thought I would ask. In case someone could shed some light on the situation.

• Posted

Ps. I'm still in pain since my last op (shoulder and knee) 18 months ago but my main concern and request for help was initially to reduce my pain medication even though I am in pain. I have failed so far due to horrendous withdrawal symptoms. I'm trying to find my base level then and only then take any appropriate medication. Unsure if taking such high level of opiate based pain killers for so long my body is generating false pain besides other side effects (sleep, appetite etc) If that makes sense. The local pain clinic have declined to help just telling me to see my GP for guidance but want to refer me to Bath for my pain. My GP says to come down off my meds I need expert guidance which he isn't qualified/knowledgeable to do. Of which I respect him for being so honest.

• Posted

Hi Stephanie. This all seems rather strange the need to travel with chronic pain in the days of email and video conferencing, skype etc.

What  pain killers are you on? It wouldnt happen to be Fentanyl - the patch or sublingual equivalent Actiq or fentanyl as there is currently a witch hunt if you are not a cancer patient.

• Posted

Hi. I had thought of that as well. Feel I'm being fobbed off. I'm currently on OxyContin. 5mg in the morning 10mg at night slow release and liquid about 4 times through out the day. If I don't take the liquid the symptoms are horrendous. I feel trapped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.