Pain in arm after IV medication

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was recently in hospital for GA and the anesthetist put in a cannula on the back of my left hand, bit stingy and sore when they put medication through the cannula, then I remember nothing....I woke with on other cannula in the back of my right hand also. A week on, my left arm from the back of my knuckles all the way up to my shoulder is painful, especially the area between my wrist and inner elbow, I can't even straighten my arm properly.

it feels like hot oil is on my skin, there is slight swelling, slight redness but no heat coming from the area, paracetamol and brufen don't really help, and it's waking me at night......any help or advice would be much appreciated 

thanks 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You need to go back to the hospital ASAP. You appear to have an infection, that has tracked up your arm. You need IV antibiotics immediately or you could be in big trouble. I've been a nurse & midwife or over 30 years, so when I say it's urgent, trust me, it's urgent!

• Posted

Hiya thanks for your reply, I have no fever or chills, no nausea or anything like that, so really didn't think it could be infected x

• Posted

Hi Mumof4

I would most definitely takes sue84978 advice...go to your nearest A& E asap...best wishes....

• Posted

Ok hoping you went to the A&E and I hope your doing ok now. But this question is to anyone. What does GA standing for?

• Posted

General Anaesthetic for a procedure.....called NHS24 because no fever or vomiting, told to see nurse today xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.