Pain in ribs and upper back

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am having funny muscular pain in the ribs and upper back after a virus type of flu and cough. Lost my voice for a week and then had a chesty cough. Now I have a constant pain sort of muscular like a stitch, in my ribs and upper back. It's been like this for around 3 weeks, just getting worried now, I find relief after taking pain killers . Just wondering if anyone else has the same symptoms and how long it might take to go. Please reply .. Thank you.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You probably pulled something when you were coughing. And that could take a while to heal. You probably should use some heat or some ice on the area to help with the pain. And you mentioned you were using painkillers you didn't say what kind. But ibuprofen would be the best because of its anti-inflammatory properties.

• Posted

I have tried co dydromol and ibuprofen . Either of these work very well usually the pain disappears after one tablet in the morning and one at night but I am not keen on taking painkillers so have given them a miss for s day or two , and this way I feel the pain is here all the time . It's not excruciating, just feels abnormal as I have not suffered much pain in my life.

• Posted

Well you could go see your doctor who might do an x-ray to make sure you haven't cracked a rib. But a cracked rib is usually quite painful so I doubt that you have a cracked rib. I really think that it's a pulled muscle and that just takes a long time to heal. Of course remember I am certainly no doctor.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I did go to the Gp who is not sure what it is and prescribed codyromol tabs. I have only taken them some days but not consistently. I have also tried ibuprofen other days but have the same effect. I will try consistent use for about a month and then see.
  • Posted

I hope things get better for you soon. I know how frustrating this can be for you. Being in pain is so difficult. I know because I've been in pain for the last 12 years with lower back pain. But if you can bear with it for a little while longer I think you'll be okay. And honestly with the explanation of the pain you're describing there's very little that can be done other than what's been done for you already. I think the only next step would be physical therapy. And in your case I'm not even sure if that would be beneficial.

• Posted

Thank you for your support , I am saddened to hear that you are also suffering from pain for the last 12 years.. That is a very long time. Have you tried yoga etc. for lower back pain? I wish you well and hope you get freedom from pain.There is nothing worse than having to live with pain. TC and thank you again.
  • Posted

Hi There

It sounds fairly similar to what I have for the last 4 months... I am currently treated for a costochondrotis which is an inflammation of the cartilage of your rib cage. My rheumatologist does corticoid every 4-5 weeks and it seems to be working fairly well although I get bad episodes of pain when I do intense physical activities or when I am tired

It looks like it started with a kidney stone in my case but my doctor toldme that resporatory illness such as flu or cough can also trigger the costochondritis

You might want to discuss this woth your GP

Good luck

• Posted

Hi good morning,

Thank you for your text. I have since had another episode of cough and chest infection, also lost my voice second time since Christmas. This time it came back after a day. I am however feeling better and not coughing much . The rib pain is still here. I am trying natural remedies, lemon honey, turmeric powder, and odd ibuprofen or paracetamol. It is healing, but will wait a few weeks to see if the pain in the rib gets better. I'm not taking more than 2 tabs a day of pain killers. I do feel that I need to boost my resistance with some organic juices etc.

• Posted

Good idea, it can only benefit your health. If the pain increases to the point you can't cope anymore with over the counter drugs, don't wait to get checked up by your GP.

Unfortunately in my case, it took months before I got a diagnosis and on the meantime, the inflammation spread from the kidney area (at the beginning) to the flank, then back and finally the hip. Hence doctors had to use corticosteroids to ease and treat the pain..

Hope it helps

• Posted

Have you been to the docs? I have had pain in my middle upper back and right ribcage pain for over a year. I have been to the doctors numerous times with many different diagnosis from pleurisy, muscle strain and chondroitis. Then in November of 2016 I coughed really hard dropped to my knees couldn't breath for which seemed like an eternity got up with the most excruciating pain ever. Went back to the doctors for them to tell me I broke a rib. Then in January I broke another. They did all the important tests to make sure I don't have cancer or thin bones. Everything was good. They say it will take some time to heal. I would like to know what all of this pain was leading up to the broken ribs. Anyways, enough about me. You should find yourself a good, caring doctor and be seen by them. If you don't like their answers then ask questions. We are the ones who know our bodies and if something isn't right.

Goodluck,

UberKim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.