Pain Management

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have had servere back pain for a number of years i have had 3 ops my last op being metal rod, wedges, screws, and a cage i know ouch, i now have a spinal cord stimulator, cut down my morphine from a 100 Mgs morning and night i was on 30 Mg's morning and evening,but my pain seemed to be getting worse so i am now on 500Mg's morn and evening and have had my tegretol increased 2 in the morning 1 lunch time and 1 in the evening i am also on Naproxen twice a day 500Mg's i also have ibupaphen to take 2 four times a day i would like to lower the dose on all the pain killers i'm on am getting very low and tearful and finding allthis to cope with, i have anexspensive gaget inside me and yet i am still in pain this thing do not lower the arthritic pain i have so now i am thinking why did i bother. I must sound really ungrateful but i'm not just need some more help to control my pain. Any ideas any body i'll try anything. Thankyou in advance.

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I am sorry you are in such a bad way. I also have had loads of back ops, last one was a double fusion with rods, screws etc. I also have nerve damage from scar tissue on my sciatic nerve, and have a spinal cord stimulator for this but it doesn't help the back pain sadly and never has. I take a very good drug called Targinact which is part oxycodone and part naloxen and together with lyrica and amitryptylline it is normally enough to manage. In the past two months I have u had another disc bulge which is causing me immense pain when sitting and standing. I am just praying that it will improve with physiotherapy. Have you tried getting your pain meds looked at again, you do get tolerant to opiods after a while. I really hope you can get something sorted to improve your wellbeing
    • Posted

Hi Lozzie every time i go to my G.P. andsay that i'm not getting any pain relief he just increases on of the others i'm on and then goes onto tell me there is nothing more that can be done for me. My newest tablet is naproxen 1 twice aday but that does not seem to be doing any thing for me. My partner actually heard me say when i went up to bed the other night that i wish i was dead and i do i have no quality of life well i don't think so. I am thinking of getting an referral to the bionic vet he would'nt give up. What do you think!
  • Posted

HI 

I may have said this before but here in the states --at least where i live - the medical people do not want to hand out narcotics for chronic pain issues.  I guess too many people depend on them too much.  I also believe if a doctor is handing out too many narcotics that might not be good.  I do believe there is a system in place to spot a red flag .like over prescribing.  Just sayin.

• Posted

Hi marie04645

I.know what you're saying but Unfortunately I have tried so many different painkillers that didn't give me any quality of life that I take the targinact. Without it I cannot function properly. No, I would rather not be on them but sometimes there is no other choice.

• Posted

Does anyone feel so exhausted with their pain?  I keep waking up thinking this is the day I will feel like me again.

But no still tired & dragging around.  I am not young anymore (only in my mind) but my friends are doing this or that & here I am.  I know it can be better than this....

• Posted

Hi marie04645,

Pain is exhausting when it is chronic. I have suffered from chronic pain for years since an epidural was done incorrectly 24 years ago. I am 48 this year and have had a lifetime of pain since 23 because of this. The damage to my back has caused a domino effect of other health issues such as needing a full knee replacement due to wesr and tear of walking over one side to compensate for pain. Life is a daily struggle to keep the pain balanced and manageable.

• Posted

So sorry you have to endure all this.  I think I told you about my daughter who suffers on a daily basis.  She gets some good days but not enough. You are all too young for suffering.
    • Posted

Marie i am so sorry if i sound selfish but i just wish i coud have a pain free day i am struggling big time as so a large number of other people i have been on most of my tablets a very long time and think its time i had a review. Thank you so much for your reply and wish your daughter could have a few more good days i often think about the people who are worse of than me, then i say to myself come on girl you can do it it some times helps butnot all the time

Regards Tina.  xxx

• Posted

Hello, I haven't posted here before but have used the site for a few years now. I have a few medical issues, a painful lower back, two disks that have bulged/slipped in and out over the years and that makes my mobility very difficult. I also had an acccident as a child and lost my right arm, that was my predominant hand until then. I went on to develop high blood presure and Cholestrol, a stomach ulcer and diabetes, to top it off 6 yrs ago I also developed Chronic Pancreatitis.

I have considerable pain on a daily basis, using Zomorph 200mgs am and another 200mgs PM, along with an array of meds inc Ponstan which also helps the pain.

I know how you ladies feel, it does get you down alot and yes a pain free day would be so wonderful but somehow I don't believe that will happen anytime soon. 

• Posted

Hello The Pain,

I do feel for you, and those who have replied and shared their pain,  I also live a life of pain and have been told there is nothing that can be done,  keep taking the meds.  Meds are good,  they help keep the pain in check to a degree but they come with side effects.  I keep busy,  keep my mind busy with anything and everything,  I walk as much as possible,  it hurts and can make other parts of me kick off, makes me sore but it keeps me going,   I find that if for some reason I can't get out for a few days I just slow down to a crawl and drag myself round the house, then when I can get out the pain is horrendous!!  I keep going and walk as far as I am able knowing full well that pay back is going to be bad,  then I take a little extra meds to ease things up and the next day I go out again,  it is bad,  I keep going and it eases a bit,  or I cope with it better,  next day it is a bit easier again...........   point i am getting to is you have got to keep active no matter how much it hurts,  the painful thought of not being able to walk at all is the worst pain I have and I will go to any lengths to keep me out of a wheel chair.  Keeping joints moving is so important,  my spine is badly affected and other joints in my body have become bad over the years .   

I live alone,  no family to call on so I have to get on with things best I can,  I think this actually helps me,  no one nags me for being slow or taking my time - heck I have to !  if i don't do things they don't get done,  this is motivation for physical activity which helps my muscles keep my joints moving.   I don't over do with the meds a they can slow me down, make me sleepy etc and by not being regular with them or taking them at max strength I am left with the option to take a little extra when the pain gets to much.  One of the meds is via patches so I am stuck with that dose but find my body absorbs it as it is needed,  so by being careful, being slow and pacing myself I can get the best out of them.  

The mind plays a big part in our pain level and pain control,  keeping that busy and the body as active as possible goes a long way to keeping pain levels at a bearable level ........  will never be pain free,  that is just a dream and something other people are.

This winter weather is bad to deal with,  it will pass  -  big sigh,  being slow when out in the cold is no fun but on frosty days when the sun is out and I am well wrapped up can bring a big happy smile to me.    Clothing I find is important to comfort,  forget fashion !  thin layers of light easy wear clothes helps,  padded trousers that fell walkers wear are wonderful for cold weather,  skiing jackets are so light but warm,   wool socks and good comfy boots.   It is good to get out for a walk fresh air is a tonic in its self.

Hope you all have a reasonably pain controlled winter --  stay warm!

Warmest regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Hello Judy,

hope you are well as you can be,  thank you for the encouraging reply,  I hope you to are able to get out and enjoy walks, since I posted my reply we have had non stop rain and that has stopped me from getting out as much as I would like,  Spring is on the way though and I am looking forward to many sunny days ....  hoping more like !

Take care of yourself, stay warm.

Warmest regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Hi Pain,

I have fibromyalgia and have tons of pain to deal with so I understand your delema. Have you ever tried trigger point injections? I get them ever month and they work wonders for me. I didn't realize how much they help me until I missed a doctor's appointment one month. They couldn't fit me in on the day that I showed up for my appt.(the nurse scheluled me for one day but wrote down that my appt was for the following day) ithout those I had to wait for another 4 weeks to see my doc. Without those shots life became almost unbearable, I have also been told that a horse linament called Biggle helps quite a bit. I have never tried it myself so I can't say if it works.

Staying active helps a lot also. I know how hard it is to get out and do something when you are in so much pain and you are so exhausted from dealing with that pain. If you can stay connected with family and friends on the phone or on Facebook it will help. You are never too old to join Facebook. I am 54 and get on there daily. Keep your outlook as upbeat and sunny as you can and it helps to ease the pain.

Neurontin may help you as it works on nerve pain. It can make you groggy when first starting it so starting at a low dose and increasing a bit each month is the way to get around that side effect. Neurontin has helped me a great deal and I would be lost without it.

You might want to start a food diary because some foods can trigger pain. If you find that your pain is worse a day of two after eating or drinking something that bugs your system the you can start avoiding that trigger. Alcohol was a big trigger for me. I would have a drink or 2 to kill today's pain only to feel twice as bad the next day.

Keep doing your research of different drugs and therapies for your condition. Your doctor doesn't know about everything that is out there and doesn't have the time to do the research so you have to do it for him. suggest different options and keep pushing until you get something that works for you and your pain. Try different drugs, try yogo, try meditation, try swimming, try standing on your head and sticking your tounge out (just kidding). Do what ever it takes to find what works and never back down. If your doctor tells you something won't work but you think that it will make him let you try it. Chronic pain is an exhausting struggle but you are not alone. Millions of people live with extreme pain every .day but we are strong. We push through each day and try to put on a brave face and smile when all we want to do is crawl in a hole and die. We can get through this struggle. We can find a way out of this cycle of pain and depression. We just need to keep trying different things untill we find something that works for us.

Normal days are rare but they can come along. Here it is almost sunrise and I have been up all night because of my pain. But I will drag myself through today and hope that tomorrow (and tonight) is better. So lets all keep our chin up and try to  get through this day without killing anybody. Seriously, just keep trying different things until you find the right combination. And keep doing research!

Best of luck to you and everyone with chronic pain.

• Posted

Hi sherbear, I have had chronic pain for more than 20 years but with pain meds did the best i could and tried to stay positive. But i wanted to talk about my sister who has fibromyalgia like you. Her dr put her on Lyrica and i know if she misses a dose or late getting script filled she hurts so  much more. She has also had to have 5 back surgeries, i think that dr screwed up at least once but anyway, she said she would rather give up one of her pain meds for her back pain, which now she has steel rods or some kind of rods going down her back, than to give up her lyrica. it makes a world of difference to her pain level from the fibro. I dont know if you have tried that med or not but i know how much it has helped her. It is expensive but there are programs that help pay for it. You just have to do the research and your dr or pharmacist may be able to point you in the right direction if you don't have ins that will help pay for it.   Thanks for the uplifting message because a can't sleep either. It gets tough night after night. I go to my pain dr Monday and i just hope he will believe  me this time and put me on something stronger than what im on know so i can get back to a more normal routine.   Best of luck
    • Posted

i have tried lyrica but it did nothing for me. just one of those unusual cases i guess. i'm glad that your sister has had such good luck with it. i hope and pray that everyone dealing with pain issues finds what works for them. in the mean time we just need to hang in there and keep plugging away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.