Pain medication

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all!

so i've been on my fentanyl patches for over a week now they are going well minus the sickness! however i am also on gabapentin. is anyone else taking the same and making them sleepy and feel generally unwell all the time near enough!

be interested to hear anyone elses experience

thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Gabapentin is a nasty drug...you can't miss a dose or just stop taking it. Didn't do anything for the pain for me... it affects the brain. Its a drug for epilepsy. It's important to wean off it very slowly.

• Posted

Hi Josh,

What is your condition? Why are you on these medications? They are highly addictive as well as making you feel totally spaced out .

• Posted

I've been taking Gabapentin for a few months now and I've taken it before and I've never had a problem with it . but I've also never gotten relief from it . as someone else mentioned its first use was for seizures. However doctors have been using it off label for many years because it supposed to treat nerve pain. And I'm talking about things like sciatica where the pain goes down your leg or down your arm depending on where the nerve is being pinched and which nerve is pinched. Unfortunately many doctors don't understand that and they give it thinking it will control your pain when it has nothing to do with regulater pain. I have tried it and my doctor keeps raising the dosage hoping it will help and it's not helping so I told my doctor the other day I want to taper off of it. I have been taking Gabapentin along with morphine and Oxycodone but never with the patch simply because I've never been treated with the patch. I'm sure that your fatigue is brought on by constant pain, pain medication and of course the Gabapentin. eventually your body will become used to the Fentanyl and you won't be as tired. in the meantime be very be very careful about driving.

• Posted

I am also on Fent. patches & have tried several things with it, one of which was Gaba, which I'd also tried years earlier in another combination. (unbearable foot pain for 15 years following chemo).

Gaba is a strange drug. I'm sure it must help some people, but nausea & feeling generally awful was my experience also. It was recommended by a great Pain doc I trust completely, but the feeling crappy was too much.

I'm still looking for something which helps, but when the pain goes from nasty to "JAYZUZ bloody CHRIST!", nothing helps at all. All I can do is take Mersyndol (Codeine Paracetamol & Doxylamine (muscle relaxant)). Strangely the Over the Counter version works better for me than the "Forte" does, but it's not to kill the pain, its to knock me out, which is my only option when its unbearable. I HATE doing that, it costs me the night/day/evening, but nothing else helps. For some reason falling asleep, even half an hour sometimes, seems to "reset" the pain to the normal background level I've learned to live with.

So yeah, it sounds like Gaba is your culprit. But then Fent. is a very strong drug, and you need too be careful with it.

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.