Pain on right side of groin and buttock-Female

Posted , 20 users are following.

I'm 50 years old. I'd always practiced sports, usually aerobics and weights at the gym. About 2 months ago I walked 2 blocks and when running those 2 blocks back I felt a sharp pain on my right buttock going down my hamstring. I didn't stop. Next day I was limping and the pain was very intense. I didn't rest but I took Ibuprofen and I didn't do any exercise for like 3 weeks.

I used hot packs, cold packs, rest with legs elevated, etc. I also had a cycle with cortisone (the usual pack where you take 6 the first day, then 5, etc). Nothing really helped. The pain in my right groin is not a 9 but certainly more than a 6. It's very confusing to determine from where does the pain comes. Sometimes it hurts when I touch the area where the leg meets the pelvic toward the back but sometimes it doesn't hurt. It seems like the lesion, if any, is deep. Some symptoms reminds me to a piriformis issue.

A have been checking different forums but usually for them this pain didn't happen after exercising. I'm doing some stretching exercises directed to the piriformis area but the pain is still there.

Do you have any advise, beside going to the Dr, where I had been too?

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am having the same issue. Mine started 3 mo the ago. As of 2 weeks ago I have been able to stop using a cane. The pain is so high on the inside of my right thigh it's almost in the pubic bone. Some days it feels pretty good and other days it's awful. My chiro has told me I have a very tight piriformis but it has been that way for years. How are you feeling? Did you get any answers? I've been x-rayed, take 2 Aleve twice a day and had physical therapy and try to do stretches at home. I don't know what kind of doctor to see for this issue. I've been to a sports/orthopedic dr so far.

• Posted

interesting....my pain ranges from my foot to my knee to my thigh, it pinches on the inner thigh near the pubic area and now swelling, I decided to take MSM for pain, but my kidney's are a bit taxed, so my leg blew up a bit, so I backed off that, but the lower buttocks on the right side is swollen and driving me nuts....

• Posted

Hi All! I have similar pain and went to the ER about a month ago and they did a CT and I have avascular necrosis (AVN) of both hips (femoral heads). I thought I had a kidney stone or ovarian cyst. My pain is pelvic, near ovary/kidney on both front and back. It radiates to my lower back, butt, and thigh. I've done tons of research on this and time is of essence for this disease. I'm not wanting to scare anyone, but there's no cure for AVN, but they can do a few treatment options that alleviates the pressure/pain and prolongs the need for a total hip replacement. There are 4 stages and the later involves total collapse of the femoral head-the ball of your femur that fits into your pelvis. I am fairly knowledgeable about hip replacements, as my husband had his R hip replaced a year ago. I have an appointment to see his doc (whom also replaced my ex's hip 10 yrs ago) next week. They will prob send me for an MRI which is usually best for this type of thing.

FYI-X-rays often do not show AVN in early stage.

In reading comments of several of you, some of which are a few years old, I saw some major similarities and wanted to share my diagnosis which had same symptoms. Standard osteoarthritis of the hip would have the same type of symptoms, but slower progression than AVN. Good luck to all of you!

• Posted

My pain now is in the fold of my right leg and putting pressure on the pubic bone is a little tender. I have pain that is in the upper right glute area and as I'm laying down, I have sciatic type pain going down my thigh. I have no idea on who to see about this.

• Posted

i realized I thought I was typing to you, and posted above, to carry on, my calf gets tight and releases and then my hamstring, and then my glute...and now the swelling which is driving me nuts....figured I would join the conversation to see where we get to
    • Posted

the swelling is contained, and it is the area that would be under the glutemus maximus hmmmm it is not red warm brusied ,,,,,hum
    • Posted

I have something similar. When I am sitting, an area below one buttock - inner thigh/pubic area feels bruised. It aches a bit when moving around too. I am wondering if I strained something. Recently when we had flooding and my drains blocked, I spent a day or so going to and fro clearing the floodwater with buckets of water.  I'm in my 60s and my back isn't too good.

I'm rubbing some Voltarol on the area but so far it hasn't helped. Next step is to try icing it. Don't think it is worth bothering the GP about it just yet.

• Posted

Hi Chris, i hope by now you are already better, but if not, see if the subject on Piriformis relates to your symptoms. Www.triggerpointrelief.com

Try some other references as well. Good luck. A

• Posted

I also had avascula necrosis, but mine was caused by chemotherapy following breast cancer. Sometimes I I would cry with the pain, especially when mobilising. The only permanent way to rectify the situation, is to have THR (total hip replacement).

I've had both my hips replaced, so I'm a happy bunny.😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.