Pain under left ribs! Scared

Posted , 3 users are following.

About 3 months ago i started getting a pain just under my left ribs, It wasnt severe just dull and achy but constant. After about 4 weeks and no change i went to my GP who felt around my abdomen and said they couldnt feel anything of concern and sent me on my way. another 3 weeks passed and the pain got quite intense so i went to A  and E again was examined by the doctor who also said he could not feel anything to worry about. Since that i noticed what looked like quite a large lump/bulge just under the left rib exact;y where the pain was so i once again went to the doctor who still could not feel anything! I myself can defianatly see the bulge but when i feel there too i cannot feel anything like a mass etc. I have since been referred for a chest x ray and an abdominal ultrasound both came back fine i have also had 3 blood tests which again came back fine. i know the pain is there so i am not crazy and now im terrified i have cancer and the doctors are missing it!! I have no other symptoms apart from the dull ache i do poke my ribs alot could this be an inflammation of some sort? Any advice appreciated. I am a 31 yr old female!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Do you experience any other symptoms along withe pain under your ribs.
    • Posted

Hi Lilian

No i have no other symptons at all just the constant ache in my lower rib its almost like a burning sensation at times!

• Posted

That really angers me when you know there is soething not right but medical teams say "nothing to worry about" Did the GP or A&E not see the bulge? Don't let them fob you off. if when the x-rays/scans come back and still nothing is seen to be wrong get a second opinion. 

After a knee replacement in Jan 2014 I knew from the start something was wrong, I was and still am in agony for months & months and knew something was not roight even after further scans & x-ras came back not detecting a problem. After 15 months I went for a second opinon at a different hospital and so glad I did. More x-rays & scans showed that the knee joint has been put in wrong which has left me with a crooked leg which I cannot bend or straighten properly and still in constant pain. I have now been told that unless I have another opp to correct this with a new knee replacement I will be in a wheel chair within two years.

Don't sit back and beleive what you are told, you know your body better than anyone....get it sorted. In the mean time try not to keep proding the bulge, that will not hel it.

good luck & best wishes

Annie

• Posted

Thanks for your reply and sorry to hear about your knee it is so frustrating when something could be prevented if the doctors just listened!! 

Yes the doctor saw the buldge and felt around the area for a good 10 minutes but was still convinced nothing was wrong. I have had the ultrasound and i shown the raidographer the bulge too and she went over the area a few times but again said nothing was showing sinister! like you said i know my body better than anyone and the pain is very real i have another doctors appointment soon and i will not be leaving without answers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.