Pain, weakness and tingling in numerous places.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm writing this now because my left wrist is bothering me. It feels achy and weak and there is a dull constant pain in my wrist and lower forearm. My palm/fingers and the top of my hand has a very faint tingling sensation. It feels as though something is cutting my circulation off. The other night I couldn't fall asleep because of the aching in my other arm, (from my hand to just above my elbow) and also it felt like my whole arm was vibrating. 

I used to think it was bad circulation or because I was typing/on my computer for too long, but this has just started in the middle of me watching a video and I've moved my arm around, gotten up for a drink etc. 

This also happens in my other arm, and it changes. My wrists and knees feel weak and almost numb (though they're not) and they tingle. The tingling works its way up (from my hand/wrist to my elbow and my ankles up to my knees and mid thigh). I also get tingling in my shoulder blades and neck. I've told my family and they claim its bad circulation because my feet are almost always purple/ice cold/numb but the tingling and pain is somewhat random.. 

I went out for the day yesterday and felt like I was going to pass out from exertion after only walking for maybe 10 minutes (at a very slow pace -we were at a zoo and constantly stopping etc). I felt out of breath and generally very weak.

I had to lean on everything to keep my balance and though I didn't feel like I was going to actually fall over, my knees felt weak and they ached as if I had been walking for an hour straight already. My mid thighs and knees, especially my right, had a strange sensation in them (like a faint tingling). 

It wouldn't be so bad, but the pain is getting somewhat ridiculous. Putting something cold on my wrists help but only whilst its on there, it goes back to hurting the same when I take the cold pack off. Same goes for my ankles. My shoulder blades/neck don't hurt like my arms/legs do. I simply get the tingling sensation in my shoulder blades or the base of my neck and my neck aches/feels like my head is too heavy. 

I'm female and 20, I'm not unfit but I don't go to the gym everyday. I'm pretty average, I eat normally etc. I am going to the doctors on Monday as they called me in regarding some blood test results (because I mentioned the pain etc so they are checking for inflammatory issues/arthritis etc), but I wanted to see what other people thought too. 

-- As I finish typing this, the aching is now in my elbow as well as my wrist and my fingertips are tingling faintly. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi hxlcyon

You may have B12 deficiency which causes tingling and numbness and weakness......ask your doc if your B12 has been checked..if not get it checked....best wishes....

• Posted

Hi hxlcyon

A B12 blood test is not automatcally carried out in a complete blood count..you have to request it....docs overlook B12 deficiency...you have classic symptoms of B12 deficiency...it can get serious and get dangerously low ..what sort of diet are you on?...get it checked as soon as you can...keep us posted...best wishes....

• Posted

I suggest you have your thyroid tested also. Best of luck!
  • Posted

As someone else suggested having your thyroid checked as a very good idea because having hypothyroidism can cause body aches and pains. Inflammation can also cause really bad aches and pains. In fact as I was reading your description I thought maybe you had something called PMR but you don't because that's an old lady disease and you're only 20. To me your arms sound like carpal tunnel syndrome or it could be arthritis in your thumbs in the meaty part of your thumb or tendonitis in your elbow and/or wrist. Your legs could be a whole separate issue altogether. You're awfully young to be on cholesterol medicine so I doubt that you are but I feel like I just have to put it out there that cholesterol medicine is known for causing leg cramps and pain. I'm sure that your doctor can lead you in the right direction as far as all of it is concerned. If you do have a lot of inflammation in your body he may put you on Prednisone for a little while to try to relieve some of that inflammation. Prednisone works wonderfully for inflammation but has a lot of bad side effects so they don't typically keep people on it for very long. Good luck to you and I hope your appointment goes well

• Posted

I SUFFER VERY SIMILAR TINGLING AND HAVE NUMB FINGER TIPS, SO OFF TO THE GP I WENT IVE NOW BEEN REFERED TO A NEUROLOGIST, BUT I THINK ILL MENTION THIS B12 THING AS WELL . MUCH BETTER THAN HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT MS, BRAINTUMORS OR PARKINSONS.

​HOPE YOUR APT GOES WELL AND IT IS A B12 PROBLEM

TAKE CARE CAROL

• Posted

You might have something called Raynaud syndrome. You might check that out and see if the symptoms you have fit with that disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.