Painful hand

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, my name is Michael. For over a year my right hand hurts. I didnt have any significant injury, pain just appered out of nowhere. I feel tenderness and sometimes pain in wrist. But the majority of pain comes from central part of hand. I broken little finger of right hand in dip joint couple years back and it now has swan neck deformity. Can that fact may have impact on pain of entire hand? I also had EMG exam and physician excluded carpal tunnel syndrom. I will be very grateful for any help or information on causes of pain. Best wishes.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

If you have had an injury, even some years back, it can still leave something behind.  If any nerves were damaged, it could have caused referred pain.  I still have pain and weakness in places I injured over 20 years ago.
    • Posted

philippa61759 thank you for your reply. I was just wondering if mildy bent tip of finger can cause such pain in hand, wrist and even shoulder sometimes.
    • Posted

I think it probably depends on what the nerves are connected to and where they lead.  A nurse left me black and blue after a blood test and in permanent pain.  I get tingling, numbness and stabbing, throbbing pain from the blood test site right up my arm, into my elbow and shoulder.  Flexing my arm upwards is very painful and it has lost weight bearing strength.

• Posted

Hiya it could be tendonitis inflammation of the tendon I had it in my right wrist it left it quite weak go.get it checked out hope this helps jo
  • Posted

Hi marci66135

Do you think you could have RSI Repetitive Strain Injury. Do you do anything of a repetitive nature with your hands such as exercise, work, typing on computer regularly. Repetitive use can cause pain over a period of time...has your hand been xrayed.......best wishes.......

• Posted

lilian05079 thank you for your reply. I do use computer a lot. I work as writer and use computer mouse a lot. Any suggestion on treatment?
    • Posted

Hi marci66135

I suffered with Repetitive Strain Injury because of my work as a typist. I had pain in the palm of my right hand. I went to my gp who referred me to an orthopaedic hand consultant. I was xrayed and it revealed that my trapezium bone in my right hand beneath my thumb was turning arthritic and starting to crumble and I eventually had the bone removed (trapeziumectomy)..My right hand is fine now but my left hand is painful and I have to undergo the same procedure in my left hand. Perhaps you should get a referral from your gp to see an orthopaedic consultant and get an xray taken....best wishes......

• Posted

Have any history records ? Hope well soon.

• Posted

No, I never had such kind of pain. It started suddenly, I felt torn feeling in hand when I was picking something. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.