painful in side with nothing on x'rays no diagonase

Posted , 5 users are following.

My father is in severe pain constantly, pain pills have been prescribed, x-rays show nothing. He hurts in his side,and his back. when he was younger he had an accident where he from a 'bucket" while working on electric lines, which he was speared through his body with a metal fence post. could this be a cause of his pain. If not what would his next step be for help. He has only pain pills.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sondra

Firstly sorry hear about the pain you father is in.

Can I ask what side the pain is, the exact location of the pain.

When he had the accident, how many yrs ago this was?? And the location where it struck?

Lastly where are you living as treatment differs in all parts of the world.

Regards

George ( UK)

• Posted

Hello, thank you for responding, His pain is in his side. It keeps him up  constantly, about the area of the gall bladder. However he has had it removed s long time ago. He was young when that happened. Probably around 20 or 25. I'm not sure. It struck him in the lower part of his back.I live in a growing town Somerset, Ky. not many resources. He however lives near Lexington, Ky. Both don't have a lot of vast medical knowledge. That's why I am trying to find different suggestions.      

Thank you 

• Posted

hi

Can I ask a personal question, how old is your father, what body frame does he have, is he small framed, large and overweight? What sort of diet doesn't he have and does he drink or smoke. Sorry I don't want to sound rude but it could be a clue.?

Thanks

• Posted

You mentioned that he had an x-ray. Is that all thats been done? Was it a flat x-ray? Has he had an MRI, CAT scan, Sonigram, anything else in the area. Any blood work?
    • Posted

I only know of an x-ray. Because of another reply. I will definetly reccomend a MRI and CAT scan.I believe he has blood work and it showed nothing. Which is why I believe he needs a second opinion. the in his area is not looking in the right place. I believe if you don't find anything, don't know  the answer, and to try and simply treat this with pain pills, Something is indeed overlooked and will only get worse.

• Posted

Sometimes all you want is a diagnosis, & the problem seems less acute. Did he have this pain ever since the accident, or has it come on recently? Did the X-ray show osteo arthritis in his ribs & spine? If the bones are intact, & there is no sign of any osteo arthritis, x then he needs an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). This looks at the soft tissues like muscles etc. if that shows nothing, then perhaps a CAT (computerised axial tomography) scan may be requested by the doctor.

of course, it could be massive nerve damage, which means he may only have his pain killing tablets to rely on. Is he on opiates?

• Posted

He has had pain in his side not recently, a few months. They have done x-rays which show nothing. The bones are in tact. I will recommend he asks for a MRI as well as a CAT scan. I believe because of his history it may be nerve dammage. I will let you know. I'm not that up to date on his diagnosis. thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.