Pantoprazole (protonix) causing extreme anxiety!! Advice needed

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was prescribed Protonix (Pantoprazole) by my Dr because I was having extreme nausea (mostly in morning and would taper off by the late afternoon) and weird symptoms like trouble sleeping and body odor and oily skin. They insisted it was stomach acid from stress even though I said no this is not normal for me, I've had stomach acid from stress before. Did labs and it showed my ALT liver enzyme levels were elevated. So after 2 weeks of being on the protonix I contact my obgyn and she confirms it was from the new birth control pill I had started and it was called hormone induced cholestasis. I went back to my Primary Dr and told her and so we stopped my birth control but she insisted I keep taking the protonix and even added on pepcid to it because i was still having some nausea and had also had 2 days in a row waking up with extreme anxiety. The nausea was most likely from the hormone cholestasis. so after taking the protonix for about 3 1/2 weeks I all of a sudden was having EXTREME anxiety every single day. i would wake up at 4am, 5am, 6am every single day with my heart pounding, warm sensations in my arms and chest, shaking, dry heaves/throw up on some days. The warm sensations and shaking and heart pounding would last all day. I researched online and found a bunch of other people having this issue. I am on day 7 in a row of bad anxiety and I stopped taking the protonix 4 days ago as of today. Made a dr appt to discuss with my dr and his answer to me was to just take xanax 3 times a day for a week and see if I feel

better. The lack of care and empathy was mind blowing to me. So I saw a holistic dr yesterday and had acupuncture done to try and help detox it out and she also recommended certain veggies to eat and vitamins to take to help detox it out as well.

I am just extremely drained and exhausted physically and mentally going through this. I was only taking protonix for 3 1/2 weeks. Is there anyone out there with similar symptoms who were taking it short term like me that can give any advice? How long does this last?! And WHY is it still happening when I have stopped taking the medication?!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

How are you getting on now? I have had terrible anxiety after being on this drug. I am 5 months on from my last dose but still have anxiety . I hope you are feeling better x

• Posted

hi ,how long did you take these meds before coming off ,I feel awful and i only took them for 4 weeks,how are you coping now

• Posted

Hello, I realize this was a while back... I'm off of it 3 months and going through the same thing. This is get better for you in time? I hope it did Thanks

• Posted

how are you feeling now ,I came off Esomeprozole cold turkey because i didn't know any different now 5 weeks off and my anxiety is through the roof and i dont know what to do , has your symptoms eased or are you still suffering ,if you are feeling any better how long did it take , I am finding this so hard and i have suffered with depression and anxiety before and i really hate feeling like this ,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.