Poked, prodded, pestered.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Here I complain about something that I really am appreciative of. It is the pre-lung-transplant evaluation process. This was quite and exercise. I went to Stanford Medical Center (Palo Alto California) last week (Mar 6 -9) both with trepidation and yet resigned to simply do whatever they put in front of me. Let me say that the staff from the kitchen to the surgeons were great. Kind. Concerned. Not to knock my local hospital, but these people were really something to watch as they did there respective duties.

OK, I'll share the prodding part. My four day schedule went like this:

Monday (the hardest day):

Blood work - easy peasy

Chest X-Ray - ditto

EKG - ditto

Bone density scan - ditto

Quantitative Lung Profusion Scan - Laying down but given radioactive injection.

Pulmonary Function Test - the hardest and probably all of you know this one, Very tiring stressful inhales and exhales.

EKG with Bubble Study

Carotid Vertebral Artery Ultrasound - easy peasy but I'm friggin' beat now.

Tuesday:

Esophagram - weird. Swallo barium in diferent positions as in lying down and standing up.

Social Worker - stressful. Recount life's experiences. The painful ones. Feels like a moral evaluation. Great social worker, but bad experience, Every thought of suicide? Or just "about" suicide? Or take drugs? What are your drinking habits if any? And so on and so forth. I felt like I was naked in public.

Class for Lung Transplant education - easy but 1.5 hours of slides and lecture with very little discussion, Strange to sit among six or so other people in you situation, but there is no dialogue. No group feel. But everyone is pretty stressed out already and this just adds more stress to it. Valuable though.

Wednesday:

Pre-lung transplant clinic - "Are you good enough?" Interview with doctors andsocial worker. Your physical condition is evaluates as well as your mental and behavioral state. A couple of doctors and the social worker all lookig at you and the more they look and the more they speak the smaller you feel. (NOTE: I expect there are plenty of pre-transplant people who do not feel this way. So this is not something to generalize, but rather to share.)

Blood draw - easy peasy

Thursday:

Cardiac catheritization - Not very complicated but for some could be a little frightening. I've had this four times now and some others even more so. But this one dragged out forever and took up almost the whole day. It is usually only a couple of hours from pre-op to going home.

That's it.

No, I am not firmly committed to the transplant, but very close to saying yes and going for it.

Best to all,

es

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi eric87817:

That was certainly a very intensive process you went through and I applaud your efforts.

I have never been a candidate for a lung transplant so I am unable to offer you any insight of useful commentry that would be of any real benefit. I assume that since you are being evaluated for a transplant that your condition is such that your medical advisors believe it is your best option. If your tests confirm you are a good candidate then I would encourage you to go forward with it.

All the very best.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Bob. Nice to have folk out there to hear and feed back.

e

• Posted

Good morning eric, well for me it is here in sunny UK.

It did seem a very stressful few day's for you so like bob said if the evaluation shows you are a good candidate I would go for it.

I would never be considered for transplant due to other health problems but I wish you all the best,

Take care Linda

• Posted

Thanks Linda.

It is sunny here in the Monterey Bay as welI. You make me think of the Beatles song "Good Day Sunshine". So I played it just now on Youtube while writing this. Nice little ditty to start the morning with.

i appreciate the feedback from you and Bob. I am, however, feeling a lot of pressure from my wife. Pressured to simply make up my mind. I see a psychiatrist this week and my wife thinks that if I am not all positive and eager, etc., etc., that I will not be considered. Perhaps that is true. Then that is the decision I suppose. I really really don't want to be pressured, or feel as such while trying to make a life and death decision.

Favorite nephew said the other day that he would just jump at the opportunity if he were me, if only to get away from the tanks and tubes. Point taken.

I have heard from two others whom are of a different mind. I remain firmly upon the fence. So the more feedback from this group the better.

I gotta get out of bed now. Too damned much sunshine coming in through the window!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.