Poly Vera and Serum Ferritin level

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have found the forum most useful. Am at early stages of diagnoses for possible Haemahromatocis as my Iron levels were at 451 ug/l and some of my bloods (Haemaglobin, WB, RB, haematocrit, Neutrophil) have come back as above range. Am still awaiting gene test results.

what I’m trying to do is figure out if Poly Vera can drive iron levels up that high or are the raised blood counts a by-product of the iron levels

any wisdom appreciated, thanks in advance 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Not much wisdom, Billythetipdog, but I shall try to offer one observation myself.

When I first presented myself to the hospital with a couple of very blue fingers and a completely undiagnosed condition, some blood tests were done. I remember that the very first hospital doctor wrote to my GP with the results and I remember reading “Ferritin: normal”. I have a brother who used to be a vet and I asked him about this. I can’t remember his reply but I do remember him saying that they were checking for haemachromatosis because he and I have one set of grandparents who were Irish. Haemachromatosis is called the Celtic Curse because it is very much more common among people with Irish and Scottish ancestry than other people. It seems that the normal reading of ferritin ruled out the Celtic Curse in my case. I can’t say if that has any bearing on your case though. You may have some completely different problem which will “come out in the wash” as my old mum used to say.

Wait and see what the results say.confused

• Posted

Hi.   billythetipdog. I don't know about iron levels, but if your red blood count and possibly your white count are too high, then it is likely that you may have Polycythemia Vera. Your hematologist would then test to see if you have the jak2 gene mutation. That would prove you have PV. It is pretty simple. Hope that helps. harrishill.

• Posted

Agree, will play the waiting game! thanks for the thoughts
  • Posted

Hi billythetipdog,

What an extraordinary synonym you have used.  Yes, I'd go along with what has already been said here.  Ferritin does occasionally present itself as a topic of question but it seems it is happily controlled.  The blood readings you offer really can be associated with a number of other unrelated illnesses so just bide awhile for the test results to become available.  PV is very rare and serious a disorder and from what you have explained, unlikely to be your problem.   One can never be sure though.   One is better off without it.  Good luck.

Peter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.