Polycythemia ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 16 years old male and I dont smoke or drink.When I got checked up after having stomachache and vomiting, my Hb was high, 18.6 g/dL to be exact,and hematocrit was 53.4 then doctor told me it could be dehydration.In August,I started to feel slight headache like small pounding that doesnt hurt much but very annoying,I checked my Blood then Hemoglobin was 17.3 g/dL and RBC is 5.89*10^12 Hematocrit is 51 %,ESR at 2 mm/hr.My uric acid was high at 9.7 .Could I be having polycythemia ? My doctor says hemoglobin is ok and I am fine,but because I am still feeling the headache ,i went to a second doctor and this second doctor told me it might be hyperviscosity symptoms.What levels of blood are considered polycythemia ?Am I considered having high RBC or Hb ? Thanks in advance

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi rex2001,

Don't worry about the blood disease(PV)!

I can tell you that the PV patients have a good choice (new generation interferon) for a permanent cure!!

Here is the latest good news about the new generation interferon (Besremi) for PV patient.

The two latest clinical studies on interferon-alfa for patients with Polycythemia Vera (PV) presented at ASH 2019.

1. 553 Thromboembolic Risk Reduction and High Rate of Complete Molecular Response with Long-Term Use of Ropeginterferon Alpha-2b in Polycythemia Vera: Results from a Randomized Controlled Study(Besremi)

2. Interferon-Alfa Treatment Offers Best Outcomes in Polycythemia Vera.

You can visit the ASH and EHA website to get the latest clinical Information about PV information.

I think **Besremi **may a good choice for PV therapy(first-line drug) in the future…..

best wishes and be well

Lijuan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.