polycythemia vera

Posted , 19 users are following.

i have been living with this for 2yrs now and i must say with no help from my doctors, i know its rare and not many women suffer with it but are there any on here ? am getting a bit desperate now feeling really un well 

thanks 

5 likes, 101 replies

101 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Ceterizine is a hayfever tablet. I take 2 per day. Helps keep the itching at bay. I also take gabardine on for nerve pain. Get that pretty much all over
    • Posted

I take neo Claritin one tab and was started on neurontin(gabapentin) last week we will see how they do and keep the best side out. One funny thing though is the number of people that tell me how well I look.
    • Posted

Lol me n all. we have a saying at irish wakes. He really does look more like himself. Believe it or not people here say that

• Posted

I think that harrishill--- is a female on one of the other threads that's from memory not always right
  • Posted

Hi - That's horrible.  I did not read all the replies, but have you been able to see a consultant?  What did consultant recommend?  Hope I'm not covering ground others have before.

M

• Posted

Been seeing consultant at least 25yrs I been told that much I can't remember. Took her 25yrs to realise it's a genitic strain I have. I don't mind answering what specifically do you want to know?
  • Posted

Hi bikerflorist. I don't understand. If you got diagnosed by a hematologist, he shd have started treatment. At first, they usually do phlebotomies, (blood draws). Then they later on may give meds. I was prescribed an aspirin a day, then also Hydroxyurea, which works well to control the high red count. It also thins the blood and prevents blood clots. It also lowers the immune system a little. I've been diagnosed for three years, and feel good most of the time. I do sometimes need a nap, but  I walk an hour each day, then workout at curves, and weed the flowers, etc. I am 73 yrs old. I am wondering what you mean by your doctor not helping?

harrishill 

• Posted

My consultant knew I had a phobia of needles, but still persisted in venesection me we in we out for over 20yrs b4 offering me drugs. Their strange beasts.
    • Posted

hi thanks for your reply

i only see my consulant every 4 months, which only today i have found out this is way to long, this is why ive had this banging head for 4 weeks they have left me that long my blood levels were through the roof and my blood thickness was as well so had blood letting 4 days ago and then another twm morning, my gp is now putting a letter of complant in against my consultant, so hope this kicks some ass 

thanks again so much for reply it does help x

• Posted

Ask your consultant to give you a letter recommending what medication you should be on. If he she refuses then ask him/her what you should be take. Armed with that information contact your gp. my surgery gives me my medication at the behest of my consultant. 75mg asprin and ceteriZine ( for itching you can buy over counter until your sorted.. If you consultant can't at least give you a prescription for those those ask if they would be recommended. Hydroxycaramide Is definitely what you should be on. If you don't get satisfaction contact you local MP. I feel for you.
    • Posted

I think that my consultant would have me on warfarin and hydra urea. When I developed a DVT I had the lot. Venesection every week, innohep, and then when I stopped the innohep I was on 5mg of warfarin. After 3 months they put me on aspirin. Within two weeks I had another DVT saw my Gp and had an immediate appointment with the consultant back on innohep and then the warfarin. 
    • Posted

Warfrin dodgy I refused it. I remember a Scottish mp was on it. He banged his head and bleed to death on steps of council offices. Stuck me that did
    • Posted

I have Weekly INR test To monitor it. There Is a new drug that doesn't need to be monitored. The aspirin was no good to me. 
    • Posted

hi clem got told today there is no funding for any meds for me because am not jak 2 gene related and not happy 
    • Posted

The Vera part means it is faulty Jak 2 gene causing the high blood count. Polycythemia without Vera at the end means some underlying cause and if it is corrected then the Polycythemia can disappear but read up on it on that site

http://www.medicinenet.com/polycythemia_high_red_blood_cell_count/article.htm

https://patient.info/health/polycythaemia-rubra-vera-leaflet

Emis Moderator comment: I have added the direct link quoted and also added the link to our article on this which is linked in the right sidebar of this page.

• Posted

My reply is awaiting moderation but suffice to say a second opinion would a good idea if the figures you posted are correct then they are high I hope the moderator allows the post 
    • Posted

I have been educated. I never want to no about my condition until something happens. I know I'm being looked after. smile
    • Posted

I would agree with that but missing a high blood count 6weeks before I suffered a Dvt that took them a week to diagnose. I went to surgery Mon and was told that it was phlebitis back on Thursday and they did a D dimmer blood test at 10 in the morning and at4.30 I got telephone call to come to the surgery pick up a letter and go immediately to A and E. So I like to make sure that they don't make any more. 
    • Posted

In Belfast we are blessed with good health care if ya can't get treatment up north so there Ireland has state of the art care. And and who has dual passport both British and iris can take advantage. Anyone with sense over here would have dual passports anyway. Hope your keeping well.
    • Posted

I'm not doing to badly at the moment will get quinine tablets today. The doc who missed the high red cell count has left and the young replacement is very attentive to me. When I had 2nd clot in leg attended the GP in the morn at 10am and he had appointment for 2pm with consultant.

• Posted

Sorry. In last meant to ask how you were and wish you well
    • Posted

Hope at least restless soothes. If I take quinine early in the evening I start to get symptoms around dawn. If I take them at midnight I have weird dreams. Wish ya well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.