Possible fracture to the fifth metatarsal, what should i do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

i fell over in my kitchen last Sunday evening, kids will leave their toys everywhere. Well i landed a bit awkward on my right foot and have like a small puncture scab formed there which i presumed was from the toy in question, i put this all down to a twist or sprain and left it at that. However the pain is still there on the outerside of my right foot. It is a tad tender to walk on but not unbearable, pins and needles do persist throughout the day but not at all times. So i am a bit confused as to what my next plan of action should be i presume it is too late to take myself to my local accident and emergancy (wouldnt want to bother them anyway). what else can i do...? Thanks x

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    forgot to mention there is some localised swelling but no visible bruising. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Avulsion fracture. In an avulsion fracture, a small piece of bone is pulled off the main portion of the bone by a tendon or ligament. This type of fracture is the result of an injury in which the ankle rolls. Avulsion fractures are often overlooked when they occur with an ankle sprain.

    Jones fracture. Jones fractures occur in a small area of the fifth metatarsal that receives less blood and is therefore more prone to difficulties in healing. A Jones fracture can be either a stress fracture (a tiny hairline break that occurs over time) or an acute (sudden) break. Jones fractures are caused by overuse, repetitive stress, or trauma. They are less common and more difficult to treat than avulsion fractures.

    Other types of fractures can occur in the fifth metatarsal. Examples include mid-shaft fractures, which usually result from trauma or twisting, and fractures of the metatarsal head and neck.


    Avulsion and Jones fractures have the same signs and symptoms. These include:

    Pain, swelling, and tenderness on the outside of the foot

    Difficulty walking

    Bruising may occur


    Anyone who has symptoms of a fifth metatarsal fracture should see a foot and ankle surgeon as soon as possible for proper diagnosis and treatment. To arrive at a diagnosis, the surgeon will ask how the injury occurred or when the pain started. The foot will be examined, with the doctor gently pressing on different areas of the foot to determine where there is pain.

    The surgeon will also order x-rays. Because a Jones fracture sometimes does not show up on initial x-rays, additional imaging studies may be needed.

    Non-surgical Treatment

    Until you are able to see a foot and ankle surgeon, the “R.I.C.E.” method of care should be performed:

    Rest: Stay off the injured foot. Walking may cause further injury.

    Ice: Apply an ice pack to the injured area, placing a thin towel between the ice and the skin. Use ice for 20 minutes and then wait at least 40 minutes before icing again.

    Compression: An elastic wrap should be used to control swelling.

    Elevation: The foot should be raised slightly above the level of your heart to reduce swelling.

    The foot and ankle surgeon may use one of these non-surgical options for treatment of a fifth metatarsal fracture:

    Immobilization. Depending on the severity of the injury, the foot is kept immobile with a cast, cast boot, or stiff-soled shoe. Crutches may also be needed to avoid placing weight on the injured foot.

    Bone stimulation. A pain-free external device is used to speed the healing of some fractures. Bone stimulation, most commonly used for Jones fractures, may be used as part of the treatment or following an inadequate response to immobilization.

    When is Surgery Needed?

    If the injury involves a displaced bone, multiple breaks, or has failed to adequately heal, surgery may be required. The foot and ankle surgeon will determine the type of procedure that is best suited to the individual patient.


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted


    I've fractured my 5th metatarsal twice......different feet LOL

    Go to the GP  he will send you for an X Ray and take it from there.

    Or if you are really stuck go straight to A & E and get them to X Ray it.

    Meantime the RICE  method.....use that.


    Eileen  UK

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up