Post Covid odd smells and tastes

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hello, I had a very mild case of COVID back in early October. About a week or so AFTER I got better I lost about 95% of my sense of smell. My sense of taste was not affected. After a few weeks it started to come back and all seemed fine. Then a couple of weeks ago just after the new year when eating a mint I noticed a very odd chemical taste. Everything else tasted fine. Then a little over a week ago I opened up a peanut butter jar and it smelled horrible. Smelled just like that chemical taste of the mint but 100x worse. Now last week many things have a faint chemical smell. I thought it might be a new detergent or something but my wife swears nothing has changed. It is faint and if I did not suffer from GAD then I probably wouldn't notice it.

The best I have been able to figure out is in very late December I was using some paint stripper, which seems to be very close to the chemical smell, and that somehow my nose wires got crossed. I was in a pretty well ventilated area. When I am outside I do not smell this at all. When I come back in I swear I can smell chemicals but NO ONE else in the house can smell anything.

I do not believe this to be a neurological issue as in late October I had an MRI for other reasons and nothing was discovered.

Have any other people post COVID had issues smelling and tasting chemicals or other odd tastes/smells? If so what did you do to help the issue?

Thanks!

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I have the same problem. strong chemical smell if something if frying or grilling. Even my tabacco smells/taste the same...

This is stressing me out. I can't even smell my self or even my poo but can smell that strong chemical smell if someone is cooking down stares. Even my coffee smells/taste the same 😦

After a long reaserch I think this may be "parosmia"

Can't find to many info about it on the internet. Would like if a Doctor or a expert could help for how long this can last and if any further reaserch is in progress to cure it.

• Posted

im in day 11 and i have horrible sour taste in my mouth and occassionally i get a whiff of garbage like a garbagd truck drove through my room

• Posted

hi there,

so my boss message me the Wednesday before Christmas saying she was positive and I was feel a bit crap headache and sinus hurt I went for a test the Thursday came back inconclusive had another test Christmas day came back positive boxing day I lost my sense of smell and taste for about 48 hours on the Tuesday after Christmas and started to feel better apart from the occasional feeling crap.

last week 2nd of Feb I started smelling cigarette smoke and I have a tension headache the doctor asked me to get another test which cane back negative I still smell cigarette smoke now and no one smokes in the house. 😪

• Posted

Im having the same issue. confirmed positive just after new year with normal cold/flu symptoms nothing to bad. Did lose smell and taste near enough completely though. Felt ok after 5 days or so but no smell or taste for another week or 2. Been a few weeks now and thought everything basically back to normal. Nearly a week ago started smelling smoke and wondered where it was coming from. Realised I was smelling this nearly all day apart from when i first wake up for first hour or 2. Makes me feel a sick feeling and also getting occasional headaches. Very frustrating just hoping it goes within a couple of weeks and isnt long term. Anyone else experiences this and it has now stopped for them?

• Posted

I got covid on September 15 and now its been about 6 months and my smell & taste is only about 25% back and it seems to come and go, which is driving me crazy. Some days I have this awful taste in my mouth that I can't get rite of it and some time soap and shampoo smells terrible , like a bad chemical, so weird.

I also find days that I have shortness of breath, I walk 3 miles every other day and if I walk up the stairs from basement I feel shortness of breath at times, again so odd.

My biggest concern is the smell and taste issues I have 6 months later and don't seemed to be getting any better! I've been using essential oils for aromatherapy as i hear it will help!

Any body else have the same issue?

• Edited

I had COVID back in July, lost my sense of smell until August, but now (at the back end of October) I have started to smell and taste a chemical tint added to a lot of familiar food and smells, also when I break wind 🤭.... Its hard to explain, so scrambled eggs is one, the original familiar taste is there, but it is overshadowed by a chemical taste, tainting the food taste. strange, given the time frame it might be related (long COVID) or might be something else 😒, if it continues ill go and see my GP.

• Posted

my wife had covid I didn't think I did

I tested- at the time. 2 weeks later I started tasting metallic in my mouth

it was sever. I often brushed my teeth with

baking soda. the sensation went down my throat. it's been 3 months the metallic taste is gone but my mouth and throat feel burnt.

• Posted

I've been having the same problem. I got COVID in October of last year and lost my sense of smell for a couple of weeks. But in December, I started smelling a specific chemical smell everywhere and thought it was being caused by my new shampoo because that's the first thing that I recognized smelt like it. I started smelling it from certain foods (wheat bread being one) but, otherwise, it wasn't a problem. Then I got COVID again (my doctor thinks it was Omicron) on 1/2/22 and my taste changed. It happened sometime last week, but it got significantly worse today to the point that I don't have an appetite. So far, it's most noticeable in foods with more sugar and it's very strong when I break wind, like another user mentioned. I am not one to turn down sweets but I actually can't eat them anymore. I bought peanut butter M&M's and I had to toss most of them out, because I just could handle the taste. I'm not sure what I'm going to do if it gets worse.

• Posted

I came across this discussion in a search and i thought I would add. I recovered from covid in Sept of 21. I didnt notice any taste or smell issues. Shortly after, maybe two weeks, pop started to taste like dirt or a strong chemical. As of this post, it seems to be progressing. Most anything with fragrance, man made, has the same chemical smell. Soaps, lotion, hair products, ect. The cold air outside taste almost sickeningly sweet, like oranges. people and animals carry that in with them from outside. most candy tastes like chemicals or dirt. it seems natural juices and such are mostly unaffected. thats where im at. I caught myself lucky that it hasn’t affected me negatively like some ive read about. Yet.

• Posted

I caught COVID back in July 2021 and lost my taste / smell. This came back after a few months however my taste and smell was not as strong.

My taste then started to change again. I can no longer eat any meat, onions, garlic, cheese and onion, eggs, peppers, beans and many more foods. I am unable to explain the taste as it is not a taste I have ever come across before however all of the foods I have mentioned taste exactly the same. It is kind of like a gone off, foul taste. Even tooth paste tastes awful.

I also cannot stand the smell of hot food being cooked, the smell smells like how the above foods taste^. Also when I curl / straighten / apply heat to my hair this is a horrible smell.

• Posted

I had covid Nov 2021 and lost all sense of taste/smell. After a few weeks, it gradually started returning-I mean VERY gradually. It is May 2022 and I would say I now have about 50% of my taste and smell back. Everything that has returned tastes/smells normal EXCEPT red peppers. Since having covid, red peppers make me want to vomit. The taste is so awful, and I can't even describe it. It's nothing like anything I had ever tasted before. If I had to pick, I would say it's more like chemical as opposed to rotten. I used to love red peppers, but I guess that's it.

• Posted

I had a similar issue. I had caught Covid twice times in the past year and a half. It's unavoidable with the number of people in my home who work in a hospital. The first time I completely lost my sense of taste. Everything I ate was bland. After I got my Covid shot, all meat tasted like blood and metal. Vegetables tasted strangely sweet. The smell of any fluids mixing with metal also made me feel nauseas. The second time I caught Covid my sense of taste came almost completely back. The only issue is that I can now taste blood in any meat that isn't well done, and every M&M has a different flavour. Also, anything that's artificially purple tastes God awful.

• Posted

For me covid came on with smell issues. Husband had just heated up spaghetti and the lingering smell in the house was absolutely sickening. It sent me to the bathroom where I began throwing up. It was so bad that I will never make spaghetti or maybe not anything with tomato sauce again. Everything, in fact smelled repulsive. I caught this on September 13, 2022 and it is now September 28, 2022. I still have a horrid cough and my smell (but not taste) is way off. For the past week now everything smells like cigar smoke and heavy perfume. It interrupts my sleep because it's the first thing I smell when I wake up. It's really awful and I need for it to go away!

• Posted

I got Delta back in August 2021, spent 17 days in the hospital after being sick at home for 11 days before that. I lost all taste and smell for a good while and I also was on oxygen due to lung damage from Delta. I was able to come off of the oxygen a few months later but still have random shortness of breath at times but I can still walk for miles at a time . My smell has never been the same since getting Delta, it's been 15 + months. Anything made with peanut butter smells like cigarette ashes, shampoo smells nasty, coffee stinks, fresh cut grass smells bad, gasoline has a strange sick smell, I can't really smell poop, can't even smell a dead skunk in the road even when my wife is holding her nose because it is so stinky , but on the up side of all this I lived to smell about it lol. Hope one day it all comes back to normal but either way God is good to let me live.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.