Potassium low

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was hospitalised last week and have been getting slowly worse. The cough can be unbearable at times to a point of passing out. Sarcoidosis is in a lot of areas heart lungs lymph nodes nerves. Has anyone else experienced this yesterday was my lowest of lows and then my Potassium level fell through the floor I was at a point where I thought it was time but miraculously when they discovered this I was started on a supplement which has appeared to turn things around has anyone else experienced this

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi David, I frequently have a low potassium and do not now take medication but increase my levels with diet when I have to. I'm sure you will have researched the best foods to eat. It does work fairly quickly, best wishes Helen

• Posted

Helen, I have a question. If you're potassium is low, how quickly will it go up by drinking milk and eating bananas and stuff? I think mine might be low because my arms and legs are weak and cramping. My hands are the worse. My muscles just hurt. I was on a prednisone for a something and I believe that can lower you're potassium. My back hurts and it cramps sometimes. Unless my csf is low because I had a csf leak. But I doubt that's low. I see my doctor thursday but I'm hurting.

• Posted

Hi It took at least a month, it depends on how much you eat. I just ate 2 bananas a day had at least 2 tomatoes and pineapples once a day with pineapple juice at least twice. You may also have a low calcium. It is unusual but I get very painful muscle spasms and muscle twitches when mine is low and when checked it was very low. I cannot drink milk so I take calcium when I feel I need to. In the past week I have been told I have emphysema and COPD This is due to infection causing damage and very poor management from my GP practice. This week I am requesting a hospital referral the GP will not be happy with my request Best of luck

• Posted

I too struggle with this on a regular basis. I'm hospitalized 2-4 times a year with it. It is a constant battle to stay out of the hospital. Good luck to you and be sure to ask your doctor to draw labs on you often for this.

• Posted

Just be cool, stress will bring out the worst in sarcoidosis. You will get sick, and sometimes pain from no where. But accept it and appreciate any and all laughs and smiles you have. Then it will start to go in remission. I have had it for 15 years. It comes and goes.
    • Posted

thanks SCOTTY for your advice I have now been diagnosed with FND so my whole has change

• Posted

Hey David, until I saw this even my Dr was unaware that low potassium was related! I have had low potassium issues since 94 but wasn’t diagnosed with sarcoidosis until 2011. God speed.  He is going to do some research I will post when I hear something 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.