PPFE

Posted , 32 users are following.

Has anyone been diagnosed with pleuroparnchymal fibroelastosis (PPFE). Pulmonologist and radiologist think I might have it. Not much written on it - fairly new to the medical community, I believe. Prognosis doesn't sound good. Thank you.

Sherry (USA)

9 likes, 335 replies

335 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Cheryl, I have been tested for hypothyroidism and my test came back normal. I must say though that my younger sister was diagnosed with it, but she has had no lung problems to date. She is 5 years younger than me, so I will ask her to watch for it though just in case. On another note my family physician took a blood test yesterday to check for a possibility of mine being possably genetic, as my father passed away from congestive heart failure but never had any test done to see what the cause of his CHF was caused by, it was just assumed it was due to High Blood Pressure in 1996.
  • Posted

Dear Sheryl and other that are direct or indirect affected with PPFE.

My dad passed away last month 22 December 2017. Since there is not much known about his decease I will write down the time line of his events. He worked for more then ten years with asbestos and has work paper and everything from it still the government doesn't take responsibility because of lack of evidence. Maybe someone can help me with this in how that works and if you need to find traces of asbestos to prove this or that that won't be possible.

He got diagnosed with PPFE on February. Without a cause which i thought it should be called IPPFE but I could be wrong. The end of May after a lung infection he ended up in w wheelchair and had to have help for showering and putting on his clothes. We also got a hospital bed for downstairs and got 24/7 oxygen. The end of September he needed a lift for going upstairs. Everything felt like he was doing a Marathon. Always tired. Till December things went worse but in a slow pace. Until 3 days before he left. From this moment he had little energy left. Not enough to even push the button of the lift. He had to stay down stairs. He became delirious and it seemed like his soul was getting ready for departure although he wanted to stay. It can also be lack of oxygen but I like to see it rather this way. He wanted us the be close to him. In hindsight I can see now why. The last day he was to weak even to lean on his own legs and his organs started to fail on him. We tried nr 2 but no result. In the evening his temperature dropped 35 degrees and we called a nurse. She came and put in a catheter straight away and asked if we where all here. My brother still needed to come and changed his flight to the next day. The doctor gave my dad something to sleep. 7,5 mg instead of the normal 15 mg dose. I dint know what and even if it was mg but I remember the numbers. Just so he would make it to the morning. 

Unfortunately he passed away 2 hrs after the injection. He had no energy left to stay any longer. I wish he could but it would only be selfish. It is a great loss. We had a close and good relation. But I can say I'm glad I have had to opportunity to tell him all I wanted already some time before his departure and even on the last day.

I hope I can be of help for you who a are dealing with this by my story. If you have any questions  or remarks please let me know. 

All the best and kind regards,

Oscar Schenk

Netherlands 

• Posted

Hi Oscar, I’m very sorry for your loss. How old was your dad?  I think a lot of the PPFE cases are idiopathic, but I think there are probably many other things that could probably cause the condition — environment, genetics, other health conditions and even some medical treatment can probably add to the condition.  Again, I am sorry about your loss. Your dad was lucky to have most of his family close by at the end of his life. 

Best wishes,

Cheryl

• Posted

Hi Oscar,

Thank you for sharing you and your dad’s courageous story in the midst of your grief. I am sorry for your great loss.  Know that your care for him was truly the best medicine possible — a ministry of presence, of silence, of love.  I’m glad that you found this Forum.  It’s what we are all here for: to make sense of our experience PPFE,  whatever that experiences is. 

My entries on the Forum document some of my pre and post lung transplant experiences with PPFE. Please, if you have any questions, just ask, either publicly or in a private message.

Peace,

Joe 

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, 

thank you for your reply! You are right about what can cause it. He also had TBC before the whole traject which can trigger it. He was 69 years old. But a nice feeling is that the last year altough he was not able to move the intensity of the time spent quadrupled. Also he took prednisolon I forgot to mention.

kind regards and best wishes,

oscar,

• Posted

HI Joe,

thank you for those kind words.

very nicely put. And very true. I will have a look a bit further in the future. 

Kind regards and best wishes,

oscar

• Posted

Oscar, I am very sorry for your loss. Your father must have known how lucky he was to have such a caring son. Thank you for posting this because it helps me to know the path- it is much better than not knowing. My father's ancestors were Dutch who moved into Ostfriesland. The Dutch name was Hulseboz, I think. Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Joe, I keep checking in to see about your progress- I am so happy you are doing well!
    • Posted

I am sorry for the loss of your father oscar99022. My condolences, thoughts and prayers to you all.
  • Posted

I have not been active on this forum for several months as my daughter gave birth to my new granddaughter in September. They live with me so things have been extremely busy and I am doing my best to help out but I can tell it has taken a toll on me. I hope all of you are holding up okay.
    • Posted

Congratulations! But, I know what you mean —it can wear you out; however,  it is still wonderful that you have a new grandchild. 
  • Posted

Hi all, I haven't posted in a while just busy with family and work. I wanted to ask all of you if you are experiencing dizziness or light headedness? For me it has been getting more frequent and I stumbled tonight while walking the dog. I see my Pulmonaogist next week and have already sent an email explaining this new development.

• Posted

Hi Sheepdog!

I do at times when my Respiratory rate is high. I have to slow my pace down when walking.  My knowledge as possible cause of this as a Respiratory Therapist Is lowered carbon dioxide and/or low oxygen levels. I’d ask about a 6 Min Walk at your next appointment. This will assess your oxygenation. Sometimes when we get short of breath we “blow off” too much carbon dioxide and that can cause those symptoms too. That would show in an arterial blood gas or end tidal CO2 monitor.  Keep us posted. Take care of yourself! 

• Posted

Thanks, I have done the six minute walks and seem ok. I see my Pulmonaogist next week and will see what he thinks. This is turning into a full time job that I don't like.

• Posted

Hi Sheepdog1 and Tamjam,

I wonder if the light headedness and dizziness could be attributed to something else; maybe an inner ear issue, blood pressure -- something like that.  I can't recall everyone's ages off of the top of my head, but I am 67 and issues do pop up.  Blood pressure, sinus, inner ear, etc.  Honestly, at this age (even though I am still very active and feel fine), I dread it when I have any type of medical appointment - never know what they'll find next!  Sheepdog -- good luck to you.  I hope it all turns out well. 

Cheryl

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.