PPI's cause stomach polyps?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone has or hasn't experienced polyps after taking PPI's. Diagnosed with gastritis and doctor gave me prilosec20mg. I have taken around 5 pills so far in about a weeks time. But after reading the side effects I'm second guessing my doctors advice. I'd rather not be on meds that cause stomach polyps even if they aren't cancerous. How long do you have to take a ppi before stomach polyps start growing? A day? a week? a month? years? Is 5 days enough to cause polyps? Wishing I read the side effects before popping doctor pills

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

i think youre safe with only taking them for 5 days. i took them for a few months and they have awful side effects so i stopped taking them. im just dealing with my symptoms of gastritis on my own.

• Posted

I agree with Heather. I think they're great for short term use but seem to cause problems long term. After suffering reflux I was told I'd be on them for ever. After 2 years I started getting bad pains in stomach. I had endoscopy which showed pitting to stomach, apparently common to people on ppi's. I started reading up on it and did not like what I found! I slowly weaned myself off them, avoid food and drink I know cause trouble and take antacids occasionally if necessary, like at Christmas. 2 years on and I'm fine. No more stomach ache, no more reflux, just occasional indigestion.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies... I have read studies that say if you take them for more then 6 months to a year the risk increases, but have heard other people on forums saying they got them in less time so don't know what to believe. It seems like these drugs cause more problems then what they are suppose to help with. Cannot believe they give these pills out like a candy with no long term studies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.